8.42.3 Compiz Missing GLX_EXT_texture_from_pixmap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by pm_64 View Post
    If you know more regarding the topic of this thread please tell us. Currently it is far too slow to be useful. With XGL it worked flawlessly with low cpu usage.
    I think the check is for nvidia, maybe for Xgl too.
    If you use compiz with AIGLX, you do indirect rendering. I think you all are discussing something that isn't even a problem. I agree that compiz is slow with ati 8.42.3, but that's probably due to buggy drivers ...
    AIGLX probably also allows you to do hardware rendering from a remote X client, becouse commands are passed through network to the X server, which does the rendering.
    Last edited by ambro814; 29 October 2007, 03:53 PM.

Comment

This should give you a small overview about AIGLX texture from pixmap and why nvidia is faster.
      Technical support and discussion of the open-source AMD Radeon graphics drivers.

Comment

Thanks anyway for the LIBGL_ALWAYS_INDIRECT=true hint. I had to locally recompile Emerald to get the window decorations work again with the renamed libwnk22 in Gutsy but now the effects all seem to work again. Raw glxgears is at 2900fps (up from 1300fpf with the open source driver and down from the 3000fps i am getting without compiz..) I spite of the inproved glxgears numbers, redraw of "wobbly windows" and even regular scrolling in Mozilla has actually slowed down with the fglrx driver. (jagged edges due to the slow refresh of "wobbly windows" are really ugly) I regret having updated my running Feisty installation to this crap.. :-(

Comment

Thanks anyway for the LIBGL_ALWAYS_INDIRECT=true hint. I had to locally recompile Emerald to get the window decorations work again with the renamed libwnk22 in Gutsy but now the effects all seem to work again. Raw glxgears is at 2900fps (up from 1300fpf with the open source driver and down from the 3000fps i am getting without compiz..) I spite of the inproved glxgears numbers, redraw of "wobbly windows" and even regular scrolling in Mozilla has actually slowed down with the fglrx driver. (the jagged edges - due to the slow refresh - of "wobbly windows" are really ugly now) I regret having updated my running Feisty installation to this crap.. :-(

Comment

I apologize for bumping, but I have the exact same problem.

compiz --replace:
            Code:
            user@hostname:~$ compiz --replace
            GLX_EXT_texture_from_pixmap is not available with direct rendering.
            GLX_EXT_texture_from_pixmap is not available with indirect rendering. Aborting!
            user@hostname:~$
            Code:
            user@hostname:~$ grep AIGLX /var/log/Xorg.0.log
            (**) Option "AIGLX" "on"
            (**) AIGLX enabled
            (EE) AIGLX error: dlsym for __driCreateNewScreen_20050727 failed (/usr/lib/dri/fglrx_dri.so: undefined symbol: __driCreateNewScreen_20050727)
            (EE) AIGLX: reverting to software rendering
            BTW, that AIGLX stuff is a bit old. If it's still the same after I restart the X server, I'll post again to let you know.

Comment

I have a question for all people with GTX_EXT_texture_from_pixmap problem: Are you running dual monitors setup with separate X on each?

I have a fresh install of Gutsy, fglrx 7.11, compiz 0.6.2 running fine with one large horizontal desktop (using Option "DesktopSetup" "horizontal") and with cloned desktops (one screen/monitor/device in xorg.conf).
              However when I try dual head (I believe this is the correct name when each monitor has its own X server), I get the GLX_EXT_texture_from_pixmap error.

I am not sure if that disprove a problem in the driver but I thought I would share my findings.

Good luck

Comment

I have only one monitor.

Comment

Code:
                  [nognir@hammer ~]$ LIBGL_ALWAYS_INDIRECT=1 glxgears
                  X Error of failed request:  GLXBadContext
                    Major opcode of failed request:  144 (GLX)
                    Minor opcode of failed request:  5 (X_GLXMakeCurrent)
                    Serial number of failed request:  21
                    Current serial number in output stream:  21
                  Why is that?

Comment

I know the solution

Originally posted by ka_3 View Post
                    I apologize for bumping, but I have the exact same problem.

compiz --replace:
                    Code:
                    user@hostname:~$ compiz --replace
                    GLX_EXT_texture_from_pixmap is not available with direct rendering.
                    GLX_EXT_texture_from_pixmap is not available with indirect rendering. Aborting!
                    user@hostname:~$
                    Code:
                    user@hostname:~$ grep AIGLX /var/log/Xorg.0.log
                    (**) Option "AIGLX" "on"
                    (**) AIGLX enabled
                    (EE) AIGLX error: dlsym for __driCreateNewScreen_20050727 failed (/usr/lib/dri/fglrx_dri.so: undefined symbol: __driCreateNewScreen_20050727)
                    (EE) AIGLX: reverting to software rendering
                    BTW, that AIGLX stuff is a bit old. If it's still the same after I restart the X server, I'll post again to let you know.

If you try
                    $ compiz --replace --force-fglrx
                    ??
                    It works!!

Comment

Working...
                    X