No announcement yet.

So, what about Evergreen HDMI Audio

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You may be able to reverse engineer it, but there is one problem this guy is running into an error when trying to build the latest radeontool (1.6.2): https://build.opensuse.org/package/l...enSUSE_Factory

Code:
    radeontool.c:(.text+0x1238): undefined reference to `pci_system_init'
    radeontool.c:(.text+0x1274): undefined reference to `pci_slot_match_iterator_create'
    radeontool.c:(.text+0x1284): undefined reference to `pci_device_next'
    radeontool.c:(.text+0x1296): undefined reference to `pci_device_probe'
    radeontool.c:(.text+0x13ad): undefined reference to `pci_device_map_region'
    radeontool.c:(.text+0x13e5): undefined reference to `pci_device_map_region'
    radeontool.c:(.text+0x1407): undefined reference to `pci_iterator_destroy'
    /tmp/ccjP1HAm.o: In function `fatal':
    radeontool.c:(.text.unlikely+0x1d): undefined reference to `pci_system_cleanup'
    collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
    error: Bad exit status from /var/tmp/rpm-tmp.FBFokV (%build)
    Any idea how to fix this?

Comment

Originally posted by Laughing1 View Post
      Any idea how to fix this?
      Well, the functions seem to belong to libpciaccess, so probably the package spec misses a dependency. But it's entirely off-topic to this thread...

Comment

Anything new?

Comment

Well, since they missed the 3.2 merge window (@ rc2 now) or we'd have heard about it, I guess practically the next chance is the 3.3 merge window in January or so. Of course it would be good to get information that they'll actually make that release window, but it won't enter any mainstream kernel faster. Hopefully this first release of HDMI audio information (the R600/700 support was reverse engineered AFAIK) is the tough one and that it'll get easier after this.

Comment

September, October, November gone... any progress made? Or has it hit some "can't be done" roadblock?

Comment

The way IP release works is that we try to release, we hit "can't be done" roadblocks, then the proposed release sits until one of us has an idea for either a different set of information to release, a different approach to how we trace the IP back to original licenses/standards, or a different way to "make the release safe" in the case of things where DRM lurks nearby, then we try again and usually hit a different roadblock, rinse and repeat. Sometimes we get lucky and are able to release the info, other times we are not.

We obviously try to release the most broadly useful info first, but in practice what gets released is a function of both our perception of importance and our ability to make a compelling case for being able to release... so to a certain extent we "pushed the easy stuff out first" and are dealing with the harder stuff now.

HDMI audio is one of those things that seems "stupidly simple" at first glance but in practice is fairly complicated. I think this will be our fourth attempt.

EDIT -- wierd; the word "either" appears twice in the first sentence when viewing the thread, but when I go into "Edit" it only appears once in the edit box, but if I adjust the width of my window I can make the second occurance of "either" appear and disappear. The word doubles-up only when the last letter of "either" is the last letter of the first row of text in thread view.
              Last edited by bridgman; 02 December 2011, 03:46 PM.
              Test signature

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
                The way IP release works is that we try to release, we hit "can't be done" roadblocks, then the proposed release sits until one of us has an idea for either a different set of information to release, a different approach to how we trace the IP back to original licenses/standards, or a different way to "make the release safe" in the case of things where DRM lurks nearby, then we try again and usually hit a different roadblock, rinse and repeat. Sometimes we get lucky and are able to release the info, other times we are not.

We obviously try to release the most broadly useful info first, but in practice what gets released is a function of both our perception of importance and our ability to make a compelling case for being able to release... so to a certain extent we "pushed the easy stuff out first" and are dealing with the harder stuff now.

HDMI audio is one of those things that seems "stupidly simple" at first glance but in practice is fairly complicated. I think this will be our fourth attempt.

EDIT -- wierd; the word "either" appears twice in the first sentence when viewing the thread, but when I go into "Edit" it only appears once in the edit box, but if I adjust the width of my window I can make the second occurance of "either" appear and disappear. The word doubles-up only when the last letter of "either" is the last letter of the first row of text in thread view.
                You lost me in the edit part

Comment

Originally posted by glisse View Post
                  You lost me in the edit part
                  When viewing the thread, drag the window width back and forth until the last letter of "either" is at the right hand side of the first line of text. It's probably a browser stupid though (I'm on my admin system at work so running IE) so you probably won't see it.
                  Test signature

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post

You forgot to mention the part where you're only restricted in the first place because AMD signs NDAs with Microsoft over Hollywood DRM. Why do I keep having to mention this? I feel like a broken record.

Comment

Bridgman i have a question.

is there any "roadmap" of status of open drivers ?
                      can see any progress or progress map ?

what is currently focus of team ? what part of drivers?

what is working, what isnt?

it would be awesome to see stuff like that

Comment

Working...
                      X