X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So, what about Evergreen HDMI Audio

?

pad for forum filter

We've been through a few rounds of IP review so far, with changes in the proposed release package between reviews, but haven't had a "pass" (ie all the heads nod up and down at the same time) yet. We're going to try again over the next month or so, in the hope of making the 3.2 merge window.
    Test signature

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
      We've been through a few rounds of IP review so far, with changes in the proposed release package between reviews, but haven't had a "pass" (ie all the heads nod up and down at the same time) yet. We're going to try again over the next month or so, in the hope of making the 3.2 merge window.
      That's cool. Any news regarding the UVD review?

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
        I hope so, next month it's two years since the card was released... Will this do anything for Northern Islands as well, or is each generation different? If it's HDMI audio headache day, maybe doing that, NI and SI (ok, it doesn't officially exist yet so "future graphics cards") all at once has some benefits? I would imagine some of the stuff is common - like the Protected Audio Path DRM, but I guess you could be sourcing different third party chips and different suppliers. I obviously don't know the solution, but wouldn't code to drive an HDMI audio chip look pretty similar? It's not like the GPUs who add a million new features each generation.

Comment

The display hardware changes with each generation (to support newer versions of HDMI and DP), but the code we have under IP review also contains support for NI.

Comment

I hope HDMI multichannel and HD-audio bitstreaming will work with Linux 3.2.

Comment

As long as it does 8-channel LPCM I think it's fine, bitstreaming is rather hyped since a software decoder should produce exactly the same results and there's no performance difference to speak of. It's a nice bullet point to have but very secondary to getting audio output at all.

Comment

So we're now at the end of next month. Has the green light been given yet and can we expect it in the next kernel?

Comment

Originally posted by Kjella View Post
                  As long as it does 8-channel LPCM I think it's fine, bitstreaming is rather hyped since a software decoder should produce exactly the same results and there's no performance difference to speak of. It's a nice bullet point to have but very secondary to getting audio output at all.
                  There are reportedly a lot of AV receivers out there that will only accept 5.1/7.1 in bitstreams; LPCM input is limited to 2 channels. I have no idea why this is.

Comment

Any more heads nodding? Hit any roadblocks?

Comment

Working...
                    X