The Sad State Of GPU Drivers For BSD, Solaris

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by allquixotic View Post
    On the desktop, it is truly a battle to migrate to Linux from Windows or Mac these days. I can't imagine how much of a struggle it'd be on top of that to migrate from, say, Windows to BSD. My gut feeling is that you just couldn't. With Linux at least there are a lot of equivalent programs or possible ways to emulate, and you have (some of) the hardware drivers needed to back it up.
    It's apparent that you haven't tried it.
    I am at the process of migrating 2 machines from Windows to Lubuntu and PC-BSD. Lubuntu is done, but it was much easier because my requirements for the machine were very low, the main workstation will be PC-BSD.
    I started as a 95% *nix newbie and I think both OSes were equally hard. Lubuntu is more mature, GUI configuration is much more advanced. OTOH BSD is by far the best documented project that I met, there's no comparison with Linux. Community support - great in both cases, although on Linux the answers come faster.

Equivalent programs and emulation? I haven't found a single Linux program that I'd like to use that wouldn't be available on FreeBSD, at least yet. As far as I can tell, wine works the same (that is: quite badly). So I haven't noticed any difference.

Drivers? Lol. They don't matter as long as your hardware is well supported. If it's not, it's not worth the pain (for a newbie at least). In fact that's the only reason I use Lubuntu.

Originally posted by kraftman View Post
    Again, it's not a Linux problem. If they want to catch up then they should follow Linux, but they have not enough manpower to do that, I guess.
    Sounds like a strategy to make a poor Linux-wannabe. Nonsense. They have to keep working on doing some things better. This will make them do other things worse, but without unique features there would be little reason to use BSD.

Comment

Working...
    X