No announcement yet.

8.42.3 and FireGL

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It looks like FireGL ASICs will now be disabled in 8.43...
    Michael Larabel
    https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
      Can you elaborate -- do you mean that you're saying that perhaps the FireGL chips will be disabled in 8.43 -- ie no FireGL support.

I think I'm going to cry :-(

Comment

lol that is ridiculous.. you figure that 3 months is enough to enable the very cards that the driver is named after.

Comment

What are we supposed to do then ?? :-(

I'm having issues with the patch workaround and my T60p only runs windows now :-(..and I'm running 32 bit Fedora 8 on vmware on a 64 bit AMD box with NIVIDIA card...

Comment

You're f<beep>ing kidding, right?

When is AMD/ATI finally going to release a driver that will officially support (mobility) FireGL cards?

When selecting Linux/FireGL on ati.amd.com/support/driver.html, the only version that is being offered is 8.35.5 which was released in March! That's like 8 months ago.

I'm currently running a patched 8.42.3 which works with the V5250 in my T60p without any problems the Radeon users don't have also. So… Why disable if it actually works?
            Last edited by Alexander He?; 14 November 2007, 04:34 PM.

Comment

I guess you never tried it with "real" 3d apps, like test 3/4 of gl2benchmark which uses openscenegraph...

Comment

Originally posted by Alexander He? View Post
                You're f<beep>ing kidding, right?

When is AMD/ATI finally going to release a driver that will officially support (mobility) FireGL cards?
                Ditto! What? I just said yesterday that I was sick and tired of not being able to use my laptop for real (T60p) because of this exact issue. Even when I have the POS 8.35 installed with other distro's it loses its mind and reports false temperature reading to ACPI and the machine shutsdown. Reporting anything realated to a FireGL V5250 to AMD/ATI results in "call the vendor (Lenovo), its not an AMD/ATI product"

How many times are they going to say "next month"

Why doesn't an ATI engineer dare to show there face here?

Originally posted by Alexander He? View Post
                When selecting Linux/FireGL on ati.amd.com/support/driver.html, the only version that is being offered is 8.35.5 which was released in March! That's like 8 months ago.

I'm currently running a patched 8.42.3 which works with the V5250 in my T60p without any problems the Radeon users don't have also. So… Why disable if it actually works?
                Could you please post the pointer to how you got this working with F8? I can not for the life of me make it work.

Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by ctirpak View Post
                  Reporting anything realated to a FireGL V5250 to AMD/ATI results in "call the vendor (Lenovo), its not an AMD/ATI product"
                  Hm, I guess Lenovo is also fed up with AMD/ATI since they switched to Nvidia on the 61 models.

How many times are they going to say "next month"
                  Probably until "next month"

Could you please post the pointer to how you got this working with F8? I can not for the life of me make it work.
                  I used Kano's method which has been described by ambro814 in this thread. I'm running Ubuntu 7.10 and it worked on the first try.

Comment

I used Kano's method which has been described by ambro814 in this thread. I'm running Ubuntu 7.10 and it worked on the first try.
                    Thanks - I'll give that a try. Does it only work on 8.41 or can it also be used on 8.42?

I'll give this a whirl on F8/64 tonight.

Comment

This discussion is the kind of thing that makes me think carefully about buying ANY ati card in future. Indeed for my last PC card I was hovering between ATI and Nvidia. In HW specs ATI was better, but my confidence in drivers far lower...... I went for Nvidia.

Ok so 8.42.3 in a T60p .. I tried that but didn't have good results, most serious problem was that after resuming from suspend the screen would be blank ,and sometimes would hit a kernel dump.

Also I could not get compiz working properly with a 2nd DVI screen with hot plugging, the full resolution could not be selected.

What I need is
                      - RHEL5.1 support
                      - stability (no kernel hangs)
                      - suspend/resume
                      - hot dock/undock with external display
                      - basic GL support (google earth, Secondlife)
                      - Ideally compiz

Right now with 8.35.5 I can mostly get the first 4 of those. No driver since has come close...

Comment

Working...
                      X