AMD 8.42 Driver Brings Fixes, AIGLX!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AMD 8.42 Driver Brings Fixes, AIGLX!

Phoronix: AMD 8.42 Driver Brings Fixes, AIGLX!

Today it's now time where the fglrx driver reaches yet another milestone. Not only does today's release address many of the outstanding bugs for the earlier GPU generations while also introducing a few new features, but it also delivers AIGLX support! Yes, you read that right. You can finally run your ATI graphics card with the fglrx driver and run Compiz, Beryl, or Compiz Fusion without using XGL! This is coming 13 months after NVIDIA had introduced its AIGLX support, but now just days after the release of Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon it's here for ATI hardware. Granted, if you were using an older ATI GPU with the open-source Radeon driver, you could have been benefiting from AIGLX already.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Faster than light... and AMD.com.

Comment

AIGLX, But Not Really

I'm using a Mobility Radeon X1400 with Ubuntu 7.10, and when I try to start Compiz (or Beryl), the whole screen goes grey. I can move my mouse cursor around (it even changes to text- or hand-style cursor as I move over my invisible windows), but I can't see anything!

Any ideas? I've added fglrx to the Compiz whitelist, and I've put 'Option "Composite" "Enable"' in my xorg.conf... anything else?

Comment

Originally posted by jojo_beef View Post
        I'm using a Mobility Radeon X1400 with Ubuntu 7.10, and when I try to start Compiz (or Beryl), the whole screen goes grey. I can move my mouse cursor around (it even changes to text- or hand-style cursor as I move over my invisible windows), but I can't see anything!

Any ideas? I've added fglrx to the Compiz whitelist, and I've put 'Option "Composite" "Enable"' in my xorg.conf... anything else?
        See this thread for a lot of information: http://www.phoronix.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5947
        Michael Larabel
        https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Thanks!

Yup... I enabled Composite, but forgot AIGLX.

Thanks!

Comment

anybody any luck with .23? it says the issues are with 64 bit, how about on 32bit?

fixing the compile issues is no problem, but after that it just segfaults

Comment

Please help! I have two cursors (one embedded on the screen), my xorg.conf is messed up, aticccle has a "segmentation fault", aticonfig crashed X and I don't know what'll happen if I restart.

I used sudo sh <filename> and chose Manual then ticked all the boxes.

What can I do to cleanly reinstall it? I disabled the old version of fglrx that came with Ubuntu in the manager, but I did it between the install and the reinstall.

Should I re-enable it? Reinstall 8.42? Give up?

I have Ubuntu 7.10 x86 and an X1950PRO (R500).
              Last edited by Game_boy; 23 October 2007, 04:16 PM.

Comment

Will this driver allow those of us with two screens to run Compiz across both? Before with my ATI card I had to use xinerama, which compiz didn't support because apparently it only did textures up to 2048x2048. Now I have Gutsy and I read that xrandr is available and should alleviate these concerns, especially with this new driver?

Comment

Well I'm having no luck so far... Using opensuse 10.3. From /var/log/Xorg.0.log:

(II) fglrx(0): [DRI] installation complete
                  (II) fglrx(0): Direct rendering enabled
                  <snip>
                  (EE) AIGLX error: dlsym for __driCreateNewScreen_20050727 failed (/usr/lib64/dri/fglrx_dri.so: undefined symbol: __driCreateNewScreen_20050727)
                  (EE) AIGLX: reverting to software rendering

[adamk@sorrow ~]$ LIBGL_DEBUG=verbose glxinfo
                  name of display: :0.0
                  display: :0 screen: 0
                  direct rendering: No
                  server glx vendor string: SGI
                  server glx version string: 1.2
                  server glx extensions:
                  GLX_ARB_multisample, GLX_EXT_visual_info, GLX_EXT_visual_rating,
                  GLX_EXT_import_context, GLX_EXT_texture_from_pixmap, GLX_OML_swap_method,
                  GLX_SGI_make_current_read, GLX_SGIS_multisample, GLX_SGIX_hyperpipe,
                  GLX_SGIX_swap_barrier, GLX_SGIX_fbconfig, GLX_MESA_copy_sub_buffer
                  client glx vendor string: SGI
                  client glx version string: 1.4
                  client glx extensions:
                  GLX_ARB_get_proc_address, GLX_ARB_multisample, GLX_EXT_import_context,
                  GLX_EXT_visual_info, GLX_EXT_visual_rating, GLX_MESA_allocate_memory,
                  GLX_MESA_copy_sub_buffer, GLX_MESA_swap_control,
                  GLX_MESA_swap_frame_usage, GLX_OML_swap_method, GLX_OML_sync_control,
                  GLX_SGI_make_current_read, GLX_SGI_swap_control, GLX_SGI_video_sync,
                  GLX_SGIS_multisample, GLX_SGIX_fbconfig, GLX_SGIX_pbuffer,
                  GLX_SGIX_visual_select_group, GLX_EXT_texture_from_pixmap
                  GLX extensions:
                  GLX_ARB_get_proc_address, GLX_ARB_multisample, GLX_EXT_import_context,
                  GLX_EXT_visual_info, GLX_EXT_visual_rating, GLX_MESA_copy_sub_buffer,
                  GLX_OML_swap_method, GLX_SGI_make_current_read, GLX_SGIS_multisample,
                  GLX_SGIX_fbconfig, GLX_EXT_texture_from_pixmap
                  OpenGL vendor string: Mesa project: www.mesa3d.org
                  OpenGL renderer string: Mesa GLX Indirect
                  OpenGL version string: 1.2 (1.5 Mesa 6.5.2)

I'm guessing this is all caused by the undefined symbol...

EDIT:

Well, I'm a fool. I have direct rendering working now... compiz still won't start up, but I'm getting closer.
                  Last edited by adamk; 23 October 2007, 06:24 PM.

Comment

i have opensuse 10.3 and 64 bit, and i got it working. SaX2 wont work for me though, it sets up the display, but just flashes the cursor at me.

i had to run "aticonfig --initial --input=/etc/X11/xorg.conf" or w/e. then x (7.3) could start.

but compiz dies when i try to load it, complaining about GL extentions or something. also, chromium bsu freezes EVERYTHING.

Comment

Working...
                    X