Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

AMD 8.42.3 Driver Released -- The Baby Is Born!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by peper View Post
    Anyone tested it under latest test release of Fedora 8? What about compatibility with FC7 both 32 and 64 bits?

If you patch it for 2.6.23, it will work with F8. However, AIGLX won't work with X server 1.4. Fedora 7 is compatible with 8.42 but not with the stock version of Compiz.
    Michael Larabel
    https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

• Michael, but Fedora 8 does not use Xserver 1.4. The version used is

xorg-x11-server-Xorg-1.3.0.0-33.fc8.i386.rpm

Or am I missing something?

Comment

• Sorry if this has been mentioned in the last 50 pages of the post, I tried to read and find anything that might help me.

X200M, AIGLX - Ubuntu 7.10. Only X11 video is providing any play back I can watch. OpenGL flickers TONS, Xv displays nothing but black... Wait till 8.44 or is there something I missed a couple posts back? Thanks.

Comment

• Fedora 7 x86_64: X server crashes

With either 8.41.7 or 8.42.3, when I try to start the X server it fails with a backtrace. I'm using a Visiontek HD2600 Pro AGP.

I've seen a few other postings by people who have seen this problem, but no indication of any solution. Any ideas? I'd really like to get this card working. If there's a way to do that with the current driver, that would be great, but if not it would be nice if it could be fixed in 8.43.

The full details including configuration, xorg.conf, and log can be seen in this bug report

Comment

• I might be happy with the nice paycheques, but the tons of overtime has been a pain in my WoW time and its held me up on testing my X1650Pro ...

I'm quite happy to report that the X1650Pro AGP 512M card I have WORKS with this driver

and apparently is a 30% to 35% improvement over my 9550Pro card ... (according to that NOT A REAL BENCHMARK tool *gears )
            Both glxgears and fgl_flgxgears show a substantial improvement in frame rates .. and with a couple of quick non combat runs WoW is showing a slight improvment in busy areas, and a sharp improvement in not so crowded areas -- the only issue is that with WoW in wine on these drivers you need to add an extra disable to the registry ... (posted on winehq in the wow forum) which I suspect is chewing into the speed the card could be providing....

Comment

• Originally posted by Alistair View Post
              I'm quite happy to report that the X1650Pro AGP 512M card I have WORKS with this driver
              WHat is your hardware? Particularly interesting are the motherboard chipset and CPU?

Comment

• Originally posted by figvam View Post
                WHat is your hardware? Particularly interesting are the motherboard chipset and CPU?
                Nforce3 chipset AMD64 x2 dual core cpu
                2Gb ram.
                Onboard sound, onboard NIC etc ... I've no other cards in this box other than the X1650Pro

This motherboard required a BIOS uplift for both the dual core cpu and to open up the GART sizes in bios (shipped with 16,32,64M as options originally)

BIOS set to 256M GART size, kernel option videomem=256 and MaxGartSize=256M in xorg.conf

This card will NOT fire DRI without the minimum gart size of 256M.

Comment

• Gigabyte GA-MA69GM-S2H misreports chipset

Installed from the ATI download site.

1. Installation succeeded.
                  2. Misreports the x1250 as an x1200. Cannot get video on totem to play without articfacts (in fact, not usable at all).

What else needs to be reported?

Comment

• Interesting new error running wine on fglrx 8.42.3 drivers

Anyone seeing this in /var/log/messages while running anything in these drivers?

Machine check events logged
                    [fglrx:firegl_cmmqs_share_memory] *ERROR* Can not get virtual address
                    [fglrx:firegl_cmmqs_share_memory] *ERROR* Can not get virtual address
                    [fglrx:MCIL_GetVirtualAddressInDescriptor] *ERROR* Can not get the virtual address

Only popping up while running WoW in wine ..

2.6.22-r2 gentoo amd64 fglrx 8.42.3 and wine (both 0.9.48 and 0.9.49)
                    seems to be tied to a pause in game.....

strace/lsof logging shows WoW.exe process trying to read an fd with a return of ENOENT - the fd is pointing at a socket....but thats a guess since the logs are in different places and not timestamped well enough to determine which comes first...

Comment

• x200m no-go for me

Originally posted by enzobelmont View Post
                      i will download and install in two hours (my connection is slow here)

any x200m experiences????
                      I tried the 8.42 driver on my Compaq V2000 under Ubuntu 7.10 and it didn't work. After figuring out the composite issue, I tried running a 3D game (BZ Flag) and all it did was cause the laptop to shutdown due to overheating the card or CPU. After trying it a couple of times with the same results, I decided to revert back to the fglrx in the repositories and not try any 3D on my laptop for now.

I was excited when I read last month that Mobility would be supported. Oy!

Comment

Working...
                      X