Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

AMD 8.42.3 Driver Released -- The Baby Is Born!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by PsYhLo View Post
    i have a problem
    Code:
    [psyhlo@localhost ~]$ glxinfo 
    glxinfo: error while loading shared libraries: /usr/lib/xorg/libGL.so.1: cannot restore segment prot after reloc: Permission denied
    [psyhlo@localhost ~]$
    but my permissions are right they are like this
    Code:
    -rwxr-xr-x

help please
    My distro is Fedora 7 with VGA x1600 Pro
    i fixed this problem but i'm still with these mesa drivers

these are the errors in the log
    Code:
    (EE) fglrx(0): Failed to enable interrupts.
    (II) fglrx(0): [pci] find AGP GART
    (EE) fglrx(0): [agp] unable to acquire AGP, error "xf86_ENODEV"
    (EE) fglrx(0): cannot init AGP
    and when i exec lsmod |grep agp there is only empty space
    before i install this new driver i was with 8.40.7 without any problem i try to back to them but same problem

Comment

• here are some benchmarks for a low end igp board xpress 200m 128mb vram shared with 8.42.3 with xorg-7.2 xserver 1.3.0:

compiz-fusion: less than 200fps (with only glxgears running and processor at 100% and system frozen)
      no compiz-fusion, aiglx: about 1200fps
      no compiz-fusion, no aiglx: about 1800-1900 fps

fgl_fglxgears (this should be 3d)
      no compiz-fusion, aiglx: about 275 fps
      no compiz-fusion, no aiglx: about 300 fps
      on compiz-fusion running it doesn't run

the conclusion is: the board doesn't allow compiz running. for now. i haven't got any errors with the aiglx or composite or similar, but compiz doesn't run. i'll try beryl tomorrow but the hopes of running an aiglx window manager is quite low.
      the thing that has pleased me so far is the performance gain when confronted with 8.40.4: from 300 fps to 1800... it's 6x the 8.40.4.
      - suspend to ram working well.
      - hibernate working well.

Comment

• in addition, video only flickers with compiz/aiglx...
        dunno if thats been said.

if i switch to metacity, everything is peachy...vid even looks better than with 8.40

switching to metacity also fixes the firefox scrolling issue

basically...if you are having issues, dont use compiz =)
        Last edited by sishgupta; 23 October 2007, 05:52 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by sishgupta View Post
          i think that people were expecting something flawless...but that is unrealistic considering the way they do driver releases. They added some features and some new support and it will take another 1 or 2 driver releases (so just a few months) to get the kinks worked out.
          This driver release has met my expectations, and I look forward to future releases.
          I agree. Don't get me wrong. As a matter of fact once I realized that compiz at the moment is creating more problems I disabled it. I will try a newer version of compiz as well...but i doubt.

Comment

• xv and sdl video outputs in mplayer are now both giving just nice black screens while trying to play a video.

-vo x11 works.. Although thats not the one I normally use.

:?

Think its time to go back to the opensource driver. :/

Comment

• We should try to play with fglrx options, to see if the scrolling problem goes away

Comment

• Originally posted by grazzt View Post
                xv and sdl video outputs in mplayer are now both giving just nice black screens while trying to play a video.

-vo x11 works.. Although thats not the one I normally use.

:?

Think its time to go back to the opensource driver. :/
                Do you have compiz/wobblyness enabled? If so, this is like something I saw happening on an intel chipset. Try it with compiz disabled.

Anyway, I have reliable AIGLX on my laptop at last \o/
                Has to blacklist the fglrx module in /etc/default/linux-restricted-modules-common, restart, install from the package, whitelist the driver in /usr/bin/compiz, remove my PCIID from the blacklist in /usr/bin/compiz, restart again, and whee it works

Comment

• Compiz does not play well with Xv. I'll check to see if this is dependant on the version of Compiz used with 8.42 or not. So the driver by itself is awesome. With the new AIGLX and with Compiz on, it's got a few issues.

If not dependant on the compiz version then, It'll be another wait for the next driver release.

What's another month, right guys? Right?
                  *hears silence*

EDIT: Oh, and I'll make sure I've done the steps the guy above me carried out

Comment

• Originally posted by onestone View Post
                    To solve the "compiz (core) - Fatal: GLX_EXT_texture_from_pixmap is missing" problem, compiz has to be started with:
                    LIBGL_ALWAYS_INDIRECT=true compiz --replace (you favorite configuration plugin ccs,gconf,kconfig or ini)
                    This solved the issue for me.
                    Thanks.

PJ

Comment

• Originally posted by adamk View Post
                      Anyone gotten this to work on opensuse 10.3 (specifically 64-bit)? Cause it's not working for me:

http://www.phoronix.com/forums/showp...3&postcount=10
                      I run 10.3 64-bit, I don't get your error but it doesn't run. (see my earlier posts)

Comment

Working...
                      X