Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

AMD 8.42.3 Driver Released -- The Baby Is Born!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by givemesugarr View Post
    could you post it, please...
    thanks
    Still working on it.. stupid amd64 stuff..

Comment

Originally posted by ivanovic View Post
      Okay, first results:
      Renaming the old ebuild (8.40.7) is enough (you have to rename the corresponding patches folder inside files/, too), the driver works with xorg 7.3 (xorg-server 1.4) and with kernel 2.6.23 (using the patches). I am running on x86, so amd64 users might have problems with the patch.
      Okay, looks like I was a little bit too fast, after testing with neverball and asuming everything else would work as expected, too. I did now fire up UT2k4 and when switching to a higher vertical resolution I do get graphic corruptions:
      http://img132.imageshack.us/my.php?i...roblemsil1.png

This does not happen when being at small resolutions, only at higher resolutions and so far only in UT2k3. I would assume that it is kernel 2.6.23 related (since with 2.6.22.6 there was no problem). And I do get a nice message in the terminal after starting ut2k4:
      Code:
      WARNING: ALC_EXT_capture is subject to change!
      Xlib:  extension "XiG-SUNDRY-NONSTANDARD" missing on display ":0.0".
      Would be nice to see those problems fixed, might be that it is the combination of running ut2k4 with xorg 1.4 and a kernel 2.6.23 on gentoo...

(Just for reference: I am using a radeon 9800 pro (agp), c2d 6400, 1GB DDR1 ram, arch: x86)

EDIT:
      Okay, I just verified that my problems can be solved by downgrading the kernel to 2.6.22.9. This change makes ut2k4 and fgl_glxgears work again, both were not working with kernel 2.6.23.1.
      Last edited by ivanovic; 23 October 2007, 02:31 PM.

Comment

ahahahauuuuu....... i've hacked the 8.40 ebuild as suggested by modifying its name and i get this error:
        Uncompressing ATI Proprietary Linux Driver-8.42.3............................................ .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. ................................
        gzip: common/usr/share/man/man8/atieventsd.8: unknown suffix -- ignored
        i cannot even unzip it... ahahauaauauauau... this has never happened. it seems that ati now is able also to make gzip go mad...

Comment

Originally posted by TungstenSteel View Post
          How long before it shows up in the Ubuntu repository?
          I opened
          The new fglrx 8.42.3 is out. It claims to support AIGLX and other important improvements, please backport it to Gutsy!

hoping on a fast backport to Gutsy!

Comment

cannot even unzip it... ahahauaauauauau... this has never happened. it seems that ati now is able also to make gzip go mad.
            comment out the line starting with gunzip in the ebuild. that's what failed in 8.41 as well.

i'm not testing this on 8.42. YMMV.

Comment

Okay, so successfully installed by building a package for Ubuntu/Feisty. It runs quite nicely (unlike 8.41) and there is a performance improvement.

...at least about 300 FPS greater than 8.40 in glxgears. I'm about to check out AIGLX and Compiz Fusion shortly.

Comment

hmmm strange... the ATI's website still shows up the 8.41 driver for R600 chips and the old 8.40 driver for non-R600 ones. I guess they did not update it yet...

And by the way, the driver is labeled "8.42.7", but in the Phoronix article (http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...item=887&num=3) it is referred to as "8.42.3". Which one is right?

Comment

sorry it's 8.42.3... I mixed up with 8.41.7

Comment

Originally posted by yoshi314 View Post
                    comment out the line starting with gunzip in the ebuild. that's what failed in 8.41 as well.

i'm not testing this on 8.42. YMMV.
                    I commented out the gunzip part, now I get this:

Code:
                     * Cannot find $EPATCH_SOURCE!  Value for $EPATCH_SOURCE is:
                     *   /usr/portage/x11-drivers/ati-drivers/files/8.42.3/ati-drivers-8.42.3-warnings.patch
                     *   ( ati-drivers-8.42.3-warnings.patch )
                    I renamed the patch 8.40 to 8.42... Is that correct?

EDIT: fixed, I didn't create the 8.42.3 directory
                    Last edited by slacker; 23 October 2007, 02:23 PM.

Comment

damn it, I just installed it on Ubuntu 7.04 and Quake4 now freezes after playing for about 30 seconds... FUCK

Please some one tell me that if I upgrade to gutsy the it wont crash.

Oh can some one help me out and tell me where the file to weight list the driver for compiz is, please

Comment

Working...
                      X