Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

AMD 8.42.3 Driver Released -- The Baby Is Born!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Installation worked flawless for me on Ubuntu Gutsy. Whitelisted fglrx in /usr/bin/compiz on line 54 (someone asked how to do it previously).

Performance is not really good. Worse than the opensource ati driver (like kir? said). Did I miss enabling some options in xorg.conf?

Greetings...

Comment

Originally posted by lucien View Post
      Installation worked flawless for me on Ubuntu Gutsy. Whitelisted fglrx in /usr/bin/compiz on line 54 (someone asked how to do it previously).

Performance is not really good. Worse than the opensource ati driver (like kir? said). Did I miss enabling some options in xorg.conf?

Greetings...
      What hardware are you using? What's your xorg.conf look like?
      Michael Larabel
      https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

* Installing fglrx module
        * ati tree 'lib' -> 'lib32' on system
        install: cannot stat `/var/tmp/paludis/x11-drivers/ati-drivers-8.42.3/work/arch/x86_64/usr/X11R6/lib/libGL.so.1.2': No such file or directory
        install: cannot stat `/var/tmp/paludis/x11-drivers/ati-drivers-8.42.3/work/arch/x86_64/usr/X11R6/lib/modules/dri/fglrx_dri.so': No such file or directory
        * ati tree 'lib64' -> 'lib64' on system
        install: cannot stat `common/etc/ati/fglrxprofiles.csv': No such file or directory
        install: cannot stat `common/etc/ati/fglrxrc': No such file or directory
        arghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

now no apps are starting because of the libgl.s0.1.2 not being there... how could i fix this?! if i cannot fix it i cannot use the driver...
        for me the driver can be called 8.42.3 the baby is born... dead!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by SteviOS View Post
          I need some help with Compiz.
          I installed the new driver with
          Code:
          sudo ./ati-driver-installer-8.42.3-x86.x86_64.run
          Then added (compiz)
          Code:
          # Driver whitelist
          WHITELIST="[b]fglrx[/b] nvidia intel ati radeon i810"
          and (xorg.conf)
          Code:
          Section "Module"
          	Load		"glx"
          EndSection

[b]Section "Extensions"
          	Option "Composite" "1"
          EndSection

Section "ServerFlags"
          	Option "AIGLX" "on"
          EndSection[/b]
          I'm running Gutsy with ATI Mobility Radeon X1400. When I try to enable Compiz there's a white-screen.
          Code:
           fglrxinfo
          display: :0.0  screen: 0
          OpenGL vendor string: Mesa project: www.mesa3d.org
          OpenGL renderer string: Mesa GLX Indirect
          OpenGL version string: 1.4 (2.1 Mesa 7.0.1)
          You've got Mesa there instead of ATI. You should be getting something similar to this:

Code:
          display: 0:0 screen: 0
          OpenGL vendor string: ATI Technolgies Inc.
          OpenGL rendered string: ATI Mobility Radeon X1400
          OpenGL version string: 2.0.6958 release
          Try installing it manually via method 2 found here:
          (uninstall all previous instances of fglrx first, but don't reboot till you finish the manual install)

Comment

What kills me is that compiz-fusion is running at a usable speed -- just completely graphically corrupted.

Oh yeah, and et:qw crashed the X server after about 20 seconds into the game.

Wish I was more impressed, but...

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
              That's a known issue on the part of the package maintainer for Ubuntu Gutsy Gibbon. A new packaging script for Ubuntu is available and I'll see if I still have it in my inbox.
              I get the same error in Ubuntu Feisty... (so, clearly this is a general Ubuntu problem).

Comment

Originally posted by aoanla View Post
                I get the same error in Ubuntu Feisty... (so, clearly this is a general Ubuntu problem).
                Oops, yeah, didn't mean to say "Gutsy Gibbon" in my previous post.
                Michael Larabel
                https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Any clue which options I should activate in my "Xorg.conf" config file in order to enable Compiz via AIGLX? When running
                  compiz.real --indirect-rendering --replace I'm getting a message telling me that the composite extension is not enabled on my system.

Also, when I installed it (on Gutsy), it seems the package did not create a necessary symbolic link (ie. in /usr/lib libGL.so.1 was not found, but libGL.so.1.2 was, so I created a symbolic pointing from libGL.so.1 to libGL.so.1.2 and it did the trick).

Comment

Originally posted by givemesugarr View Post
                    arghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

now no apps are starting because of the libgl.s0.1.2 not being there... how could i fix this?! if i cannot fix it i cannot use the driver...
                    for me the driver can be called 8.42.3 the baby is born... dead!!!!!!!!!

Comment

EDIT: If you have the Composite extension disabled in your xorg.conf in /etc/X11/xorg.conf, make sure you re-enable it.
                      ok, thanks for the composite extension tip, i didn't read the post first.

Comment

Working...
                      X