Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

AMD 8.42.3 Driver Released -- The Baby Is Born!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• As if you all were planning on buying a new graphic card this month. When you are going to buy your next one, you then can decide if fglrx or nvidia is better and what card you are buying. Why saying "fglrx 8.42 sucks, I will a nvidia card sometime in 2008"?

- d2kx

Comment

• Originally posted by d2kx View Post
      As if you all were planning on buying a new graphic card this month. When you are going to buy your next one, you then can decide if fglrx or nvidia is better and what card you are buying. Why saying "fglrx 8.42 sucks, I will a nvidia card sometime in 2008"?

- d2kx
      You're omitting the context. They're saying "ATI has continued to let us down, for months, and this driver is the last straw", not "This particular driver was bad".

Comment

• All you ATI bashers, tell me: do you think anybody gives a damn about your whining? I guess not. So make yourself a separate thread for that (oh well, you already did that) oh create your own forum at, let's say, atisucksbad.com or whatever...

Personally I have Radeon 9550 and it works kewl with xorg-server 1.3. I had segfaults and app startup hangups on 1.4, as said above. I only want non-flickering video with AIGLX and I'm golden...

And if you'd like to ask, I dualboot. With Windows Server 2003. I suppose I have fewer reasons to switch to nvidia then

Comment

• Well, for me, the good news is they got rid of the mouse and watermark corruption.
          I tried Compiz and decided I wouldn't wanna run it since it looks buggy.
          Xv is sort of back but with the same lame performance if not worse before they broke it.

All in all it reminds me of previous releases minus the corruption.

I guess my type would be radeonHD in summer of 2008. Guess, ati makes you grow old faster. I can remember the first time I stumbled upon these drivers...

Conclusion is, I will never be able to watch an .mkv x264 through the 2nd display as if its on Windows. Thanks ati, you're best at keeping people stuck to Windows . Atleast you're best in something.

Comment

• Originally posted by ferreira View Post
            All you ATI bashers, tell me: do you think anybody gives a damn about your whining?
            There's a thing called customer support - you may have heard of it?

I guess not.
            Oh, no, apparently you haven't.

Personally I have Radeon 9550 and it works kewl with xorg-server 1.3. I had segfaults and app startup hangups on 1.4, as said above. I only want non-flickering video with AIGLX and I'm golden...
            Lucky you, you have a system that works reasonably with the new drivers in some configuration. Some of us don't - with xorg-server 1.3, even. Do you seriously blame people who've had systems which haven't worked properly with the drivers for months for not being in a good mood?

And if you'd like to ask, I dualboot. With Windows Server 2003. I suppose I have fewer reasons to switch to nvidia then
            Indeed so. This is probably why you have lowered expectations.

Comment

• Originally posted by chrige View Post
              • suspend is broken on kernels using the slub allocator. This is really bad, if I could ask for just one thing for 8.43 that would be it.

Regards,

Chris
              Thats not true. It works here like a charm and I'm using the SLUB allocator.

Comment

• Originally posted by cornelius View Post
                And suspend is actually working there. If the open source driver didn't freeze X on this mobility X300 every few hours, I could actually stay with it.
                Could you please and everyone else participate in this bugreport to get that solved? As you can see this is a really old problem.

Please vote for this bug.

Comment

• Try disabling OpenGLOverlay in xorg.conf.

Comment

• Actually, customer support would appreciate decent explanations of what is going wrong as opposed to "it doesn't work". I can understand people wanting something that works nicely with everything, but I also don't understand why people are so quick to blame _everything_ upon ati. Kernel versions, xorg versions, distro-specific patch sets, even window managers can all contribute, and I'll admit I don't like people automatically saying "it's ati's fault!" without actually seeing whether it is or not. I have better game performance when using enlightenment than when using fluxbox - where does the problem lie there? Probably somewhere in the wm code, not ati's drivers.
                    I can also assure people that nvidia drivers have their fair share of issues too - just different ones than with ati.

Comment

• Originally posted by mirv View Post
                      Actually, customer support would appreciate decent explanations of what is going wrong as opposed to "it doesn't work".
                      You mean like the full tracebacks and logs I posted with both of my problems? And the fact that at least one of them appears to have been submitted to the bugzilla some time ago by someone else?

I can understand people wanting something that works nicely with everything, but I also don't understand why people are so quick to blame _everything_ upon ati.
                      Admittedly, this is partly the fault of raised expectations from people (like Michael, for example) who play with the beta versions of the drivers, have them work perfectly and then hint at how everyone will love the new driver...
                      I don't blame people for being excited when their systems work awesomely with a new release - it's just that the build up of expectation is counterproductive when this isn't the case for others.
                      And no, this isn't entirely ATI's fault - although, arguably, the fixed monthly release contributes to this by restricting the amount of new stuff that can come with each new driver, and slowing the availability of new features.
                      People would also be more inclined to be supportive if, for example, ATI admitted that some support in each driver is beta - the AIGLX support in the current driver, if we'd been told it was "beta and experimental", would have gotten much better press from those with which it fails to work well.

Probably somewhere in the wm code, not ati's drivers.
                      I can also assure people that nvidia drivers have their fair share of issues too - just different ones than with ati.
                      Indeed, but for things I care about, the nvidia drivers seem to provide better support.
                      (And this is, of course, what this comes down to - the different priorities of different people versus the priorities of the driver releases. Everyone who "just wanted AIGLX support" is ecstatic about this release because it gives them that - the people who didn't care about that aren't so happy, because their concerns haven't been addressed.)

Comment

Working...
                      X