No announcement yet.

Multichannel capture with ALSA?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ok, I've looked around and found a few things: 1) you're not the only person with this problem, and 2) according to the source code (in recent kernel anyway), it should expose the "Master Playback Volume" control.

EDIT:[If you're not using the latest version of ALSA you could try updating. You could try looking in /proc/asound/card0/ossmixer to see if there is a volume master, which may indicate something wrong with your configuration?]

So you can file a bug report with alsa-project.org's bugtracker, or alternatively if you want to ask very, very nicely you could email the developer? Some people don't like to receive emails, others will gladly help...

Sorry I have nothing better to report.
    Last edited by edged; 23 October 2007, 07:17 AM.

Comment

So should I update the kernel as well or only the ALSA packages? I have 2.6.23 but it just starts and shows a black screen. Using 2.6.22-ck1 currently.

Is there then a way to emulate a main volume control or just link the analog front control to a new main control?

Thanks for all your help

Comment

What version of ALSA does it say you have when you look in /proc/asound/version? The latest is 1.0.15 final, which has a few fixes for the driver, but it may not be worth it (difficult for me to tell). If you are going to try, it's far easier to keep your kernel and just use the libs+ drivers + utils off the ALSA website.

It may be possible to do what you want, but could you tell me, have you tried alsamixer with the -V option - and does that reveal anymore elements? BTW, are you sure the Front Analog volume control doesn't affect all of the output channels (it's been reported to)? Or are you using digital out, in which case I may know what it is...

Comment

I have ALSA 1.0.14. Will try 1.0.15.

[EDIT: Tried 1.0.15 and it made no difference]

I have tried 'alsamixer -V all' and it just gives me extra capture controls. I only have a analog 2.1 speaker set, so I won't know if it effects all.
          Last edited by divan; 23 October 2007, 08:32 AM.

Comment

Sorry for the long time in replying.

Copy this to a file name ".asoundrc" and place it in your home directory:
            Code:
            # Personal: ~/.asoundrc
            # Global: /etc/asound.conf

pcm.snd_card {
                type hw
                card 0
                device 0
                # mmap_emulation true  # If mmap() err
            }

pcm.dmixed {
                type dmix 
                ipc_key 1024 
                #ipc_key_add_uid false   # No user restriction
                #ipc_perm 0666           # IPC permissions for multi-user
                slave {
                   pcm "snd_card"
                   #rate 48000	  # If chipmunks
                   #buffer_size 4096  # If pops
                   #period_size 512	  # If crackles
                }
            }

pcm.dsnooped {
                type dsnoop 
                ipc_key 2048 
                slave {
                    pcm "snd_card" 
                    #rate 48000	  # If chipmunks
            	#period_size 128  # If crackles
                }
            }

pcm.softvol {
                type softvol
                slave.pcm "dmixed"
                control {
                    name "Software"  # Can rename this
                    card 0
                }
            }

pcm.duplex {
                type asym 
                playback.pcm "plug:softvol" 
                capture.pcm "plug:dsnooped"
            }

pcm.!default {
                type plug
                slave.pcm "duplex"
            }

pcm.dsp0 {
                type plug
                slave.pcm "duplex"
            }
            You will need to access your audio device one time, before the new "Software" control will appear in you mixer. If you have no "Master" volume control (you said you didn't), then you can rename it that - and voila.

There are some commented items, but they should be self explanatory enough. I used mainly documentation on the ALSA website, and yes it can be difficult to wrap your head around

Anyway, let me know if that doesn't work (I'd be surprised, but I suppose it's not impossible).
            Last edited by edged; 23 October 2007, 11:37 AM.

Comment

Works perfectly

[edit: changed the controls name to 'Master' and now I can control the volume of programs in wine]

So great full for your help
              Last edited by divan; 23 October 2007, 12:17 PM.

Comment

That's no problem. Just now I realized you likely won't ever need to uncomment the rate override in the config, because your audio chip can handle multiple formats hehe.

Anyways glad to hear it

Comment

Originally posted by edged View Post
                  The Audigy 'Value' series does not use an emu10k1 either IIRC, Thetargos.

Thanks.
                  The one Value card that uses an EMU10K2 is the Audigy 2 value, you are right, Audigy 1 Value uses the ca0106. I guess it was simply renamed later on to "Audigy LS"

Comment

Just noticed I get this in the console if I start any wine program. Definetly not wine itself.

Code:
                    ALSA lib conf.c:3949:(snd_config_expand) Unknown parameters 0
                    ALSA lib pcm.c:2145:(snd_pcm_open_noupdate) Unknown PCM default:0
                    ALSA lib conf.c:3949:(snd_config_expand) Unknown parameters 0
                    ALSA lib pcm.c:2145:(snd_pcm_open_noupdate) Unknown PCM default:0
                    ALSA lib conf.c:3949:(snd_config_expand) Unknown parameters 1
                    ALSA lib pcm.c:2145:(snd_pcm_open_noupdate) Unknown PCM default:1
                    ALSA lib conf.c:3949:(snd_config_expand) Unknown parameters 1
                    ALSA lib pcm.c:2145:(snd_pcm_open_noupdate) Unknown PCM default:1

Comment

Hi,

I have a Sound Blaster Audigy Value Soundcard, using the CA0106 Alsa driver. Unfortunatly it does not have a master volume control in the mixer panel, is there a way to enable it or emulate it?

Comment

Working...
                      X