Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It's Time For The 2011 Linux Graphics Survey

Phoronix: It's Time For The 2011 Linux Graphics Survey

It's time for the 2011 Linux Graphics Survey on Phoronix. Since 2007 (see the 2007, 2008, 2009, and 2010 results) we have been running an annual Linux graphics survey. The purpose of this survey is to help graphics driver developers, software / application developers, and other organizations understand the hardware/software configurations and features currently being used by Linux desktop users. It's now time for the 2011 Linux Graphics Survey...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

In the question "Do you prefer an open-source video driver over a closed-source video driver?", what is the difference between the answers "No" and "Don't care"?

I do not prefer an open source driver. "No" and "don't care" mean the same here.

Comment

I assume that "No" means "I like only closed source drivers", "Yes" means "I like only opensource drivers" and "Indifferent" means "I like both".

Comment

Originally posted by RealNC View Post
        In the question "Do you prefer an open-source video driver over a closed-source video driver?", what is the difference between the answers "No" and "Don't care"?

I do not prefer an open source driver. "No" and "don't care" mean the same here.

you talk engreece

Comment

Originally posted by 89c51 View Post
          you talk engreece

I don't think so. If you ask me if I prefer an open driver, the answer is "no", because a blob is fine too. The answer is also "don't care", because a blob is fine too.

So could you explain to me what the difference is between "no" and "don't care"? :-/

Edit:
          It seems that the question wanted to ask this instead:

Do you prefer:

* Open Source drivers
          * Closed Source drivers
          * Both are fine with me
          Last edited by RealNC; 18 August 2011, 02:57 PM.

Comment

8 different systems I maintain entered.

Comment

Originally posted by RealNC View Post
              I don't think so. If you ask me if I prefer an open driver, the answer is "no", because a blob is fine too. The answer is also "don't care", because a blob is fine too.

So could you explain to me what the difference is between "no" and "don't care"? :-/

Edit:
              It seems that the question wanted to ask this instead:

Do you prefer:

* Open Source drivers
              * Closed Source drivers
              * Both are fine with me
              Yeah I was stuck on that question too. I guess he meant it like this... ~You either do care or you don't. If you care, what do you care for, a Yes or a No. ~

It should have been, "Do you prefer open source drivers or closed source drivers?" Closed / Open / Both / Unsure.

Comment

I think I mentioned this last year, but I really think there should be the option "just works"/no configuration in configuring displays. A good driver shouldn't require any configuration for 90%* of users.

* Statistic invented.

Comment

Key concerns

My key concern was not mentioned: hybrid graphics. It seems like a lot of new laptops are coming out with hybrid graphics and even desktops are now in the game. I've not ventured too far into the issue, but it's definetaly isn't something that "just works."

Comment

For many systems I have the answers would be identical, CBA to check the same boxes four-five times. An option box "these answers match N systems" would be nice.

Comment

Working...
                    X