X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oh gawd... not another KDE3-type thingy :P

Comment

Originally posted by markg85 View Post
      interesting development but not so good.
      Keeping old code (gtk2) alive when their is a way better gtk3 version is just being plain ignorant. They should fork the latest gnome version, drop the default gui and develop and upgrade the fallback mode. In the end that will also benefit Gnome..
      I agree 100%.

Comment

Originally posted by markg85 View Post
        interesting development but not so good.
        Keeping old code (gtk2) alive when their is a way better gtk3 version is just being plain ignorant. They should fork the latest gnome version, drop the default gui and develop and upgrade the fallback mode. In the end that will also benefit Gnome. Note that this isn't the first time a "fork" is attempted. A couple years ago their where a bunch of patches that gnome wouldn't accept. Those where all put on a site and where kept up to date for some time. It never came to a full fork and it eventually died.

as for "dash" .. That's both smart and stupid of canonical. Smart, the use of QML since that way they both have software and hardware rendering depending on the used hardware. That's very smart! However, they are using a Gnome environment with Gnome apps but with this they add a huge Qt dependency.. That is not so smart. But hey, they can't rely on cairo for this stuff

Yeah, two interesting developments but both aren't that good in their current form.
        I agree. Personally I actually really enjoy using gnome-shell, but understand why some dislike it. The fact is even though gnome-shell is a big change and some people want the old pardagrim, forking gnome 2 is a terrible idea and a waste of resources. Gnome 3/GTK3 have many improvements under the hood. Why not fork gnome 3? Create a new shell that behaves more like gnome 2? Hell, gnome-shell is written in CSS and Javascript, why not fork gnome-shell and customize it so it looks and feels more like gnome 2? Then you would still have the excellent customization abilities gnome-shell gives us (extensions). Anything based off of gnome 3 would be a much better application of resources.

Comment

I find it funny how alot of people here are bashing this Gnome fork. Saying you should work on this or work on that, blah blah blah,
          When I doubt most or any of you are even Gtk or Qt developers. I spent 8 years writing code for Gnome and the last 4 writing code
          for Qt/Kde. And I have been a kde-look, gnome-look, ....... Editor for many years.

The Mate Desktop developers are working on something they feel is worth while. And there doing it for free.

So your not allowed to have an opinion on how you feel would be a better use of there time.
          Last edited by zester; 31 August 2011, 09:09 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by zester View Post
            So your not allowed to have an opinion on how you feel would be a better use of there time.
            FOSS: Absolutely free, as long as you do as I say.

Comment

The Mate Desktop developers are working on something they feel is worth while. And there doing it for free. So your(sic) not allowed to have an opinion on how you feel would be a better use of there time.
              STFU. Of course I'm "allowed" to have an opinion (free as in freedom, not free as in beer).

Comment

Its good to see people still have that angry passion when it comes to gui's. I find gnome 2 and KDE perfectly usable, and gnome 3 is coming along great. What we really need next is port of gnome 1! No reason.... Just completes the set.

Comment

you are funny ^^

Originally posted by _cas_ View Post
                  If the panel was fixed (mostly get rid of the stupid hard-coded 3 regions and let me put launchers where *I* want them and stopped wasting precious panel space reminding me what my name is), i'd be reasonably happy switching to Gnome 3 Fallback at home. Also, I want my applets. And I want the clock on the far right of the top menu, not in the middle of the screen. and i want the systray on the far right of the bottom panel, right next to my desktop pager.
                  first you say that, then you say that:

Originally posted by _cas_ View Post
                  I guess theming is important if you care about that kind of thing. I don't very much. I just want a convenient way of launching common apps and displaying various status applets about my system. I don't care much what it looks like as long as it isn't garish, doesn't have distracting animations, and doesn't get in my way.
                  You know theming is in gnome not only to have other button colors or stuff you can completly define the look you want. So moving the clock to the right position should be no big tast, just work on a css file. But maybe I am wrong I just made one minor change at one time on the theme file.

Comment

Originally posted by Nevertime View Post
                    Its good to see people still have that angry passion when it comes to gui's. I find gnome 2 and KDE perfectly usable, and gnome 3 is coming along great. What we really need next is port of gnome 1! No reason.... Just completes the set.
                    <3, you are radical

Comment

I find it funny how alot of people here are bashing this Gnome fork. Saying you should work on this or work on that, blah blah blah,
                      When I doubt most or any of you are even Gtk or Qt developers. I spent 8 years writing code for Gnome and the last 4 writing code
                      for Qt/Kde. And I have been a kde-look, gnome-look, ....... Editor for many years.

The Mate Desktop developers are working on something they feel is worth while. And there doing it for free.

I'm allowed to have an opinion on whatever I wish to. I feel time would better be served working with currently maintained code, and the same goal that mate is reaching for could be achieved with less maintenance headaches.

Comment

Working...
                      X