Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
    We did make it happen.

Now you are asking if we can take the open source drivers back from the community, make them "AMD official", and spend a big pile of new money funding open source driver development with a goal of matching the performance and functionality of the proprietary drivers, right ?

Whatever happened to people asking for things like "world peace" ?
    Sounds like world peace is easier. Truth is though: Can't please them all...
    Originally posted by bridgman View Post
    Cool, so many things I disagree with in a single post

That's not a radeon vs nouveau thing as much as a hardware thing -- the fact that AMD GPUs keep pretty much all of their microcode in RAM while other vendors build most of it into the chip. If our microcode was burned into the chip where you couldn't see it would we somehow be more "open source friendly" ?

I see the same thing with CPUs -- processors which don't have upgradable microcode are somehow felt to be "more open source friendly" than processors where you can update the microcode after purchase. This whole "if we have to see the microcode it's evil but if it's out of sight it's OK" perspective baffles me -- it's like the belief that building a wall around a resort so you can't see the poor people outside somehow makes the problem go away.
    I laughed loudly after reading this one. x) Walls are for either keeping things in or out.

Comment

tear free works!

Tear free works on my mobility radeon hd 2400 with 128mb. I didn't expect that from my weak card. Xv video, kwin effects, flash etc everything works great! Yay!

Comment

Spambot following a spambot

Comment

Originally posted by Smask View Post
          Spambot following a spambot
          I'm not sure I understand what you're on about?

Comment

Working...
          X