Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Still getting cursor corruption on dual monitor

Comment

Still can't resume from sleep on my E-350 laptop. This is ridiculous there is not a fglrx release that has managed to resume correctly since the original 11.4. I thought fglrx was supposed to support workstations? Well, this is a workstation so where is the support?

Moreover, how come the open-source drivers can resume from sleep, are more stable and have faster 2d to boot? Add power management and there would be little reason to use fglrx anymore.

A very frustrated workstation customer.

Comment

I didn't think we had a workstation (eg FirePro) product based on E-350 or any of the Fusion parts yet. Doesn't mean we don't want fglrx to work on your laptop, but it's when we say "workstation" we're talking about FirePro etc...

I'm actually a bit surprised that suspend/resume is working with the open drivers. The feedback I had heard was more the other way round, that we had a known issue with the open drivers but that fglrx worked. Will ask around.

I haven't had a chance to search through the unofficial bug tracker but if there isn't a similar ticket on there already it would be great if you could add one with system details. Suspend/resume is relatively more system specific than most functionality so a problem on your system may not mean the functionality is generally broken.

One advantage that the open source drivers have had is that relatively more of the development has been done on real production systems (after launch) whereas most of the Catalyst work has to be completed well before production hardware is available. This advantage may go away a bit as we try to do the open source development work earlier and provide support closer to launch -- we'll need to figure out the best balance.
        Last edited by bridgman; 19 August 2011, 07:53 AM.
        Test signature

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
          I didn't think we had a workstation (eg FirePro) product based on E-350 or any of the Fusion parts yet. Doesn't mean we don't want fglrx to work on your laptop, but it's when we say "workstation" we're talking about FirePro etc...
          I guess HP "business" notebooks don't qualify then, even though they list linux support.

(Edit: just visited the page above and, to my surprise, they've removed "SUSE Enterprise Linux 11" reference from the 3105m notebook - the one with the E-350. Not all that surprising, given my recent experience, but unfortunate nonetheless. That's one of the reasons I originally bought this).

I'm actually a bit surprised that suspend/resume is working with the open drivers. The feedback I had heard was more the other way round, that we had a known issue with the open drivers but that fglrx worked. Will ask around.
          Please do. I haven't tested open-source suspend on Ubuntu 11.04 (uses 2.6.38 kernel so E-350 doesn't really work correctly - needs 2.6.39, IIRC) but suspend works perfectly on 11.10 (3.0.0-8 kernel, works even after multiple suspend/resume cycles). Fglrx has never worked on either (there's a ~50% chance of a hardlock during suspend and another 50% during resume).

I'll search the bug tracker.

Edit 2: it's been reported as http://ati.cchtml.com/show_bug.cgi?id=153
          Last edited by BlackStar; 19 August 2011, 11:35 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by BlackStar View Post
            I guess HP "business" notebooks don't qualify then, even though they list linux support.
            I'm surprised suspend/resume didn't work if you bought the laptop preloaded with Linux. Normally preloads get system-specific qual and then either drivers or OS image will be tweaked to make everything work together.

If you buy the same laptop with Windows and then install a generic distro image you don't get the same benefit -- you'll probably get the driver tweaks but not the OS image tweaks.

FWIW, when I'm talking about market segments I usually use :

- consumer client (desktop/laptop/all in one)
            - enterprise client (your business laptop fits here)
            - workstation
            - server
            - embedded
            - mobile (essentially tablet)

Originally posted by BlackStar View Post
            Thanks !
            Last edited by bridgman; 19 August 2011, 01:56 PM.
            Test signature

Comment

So close, yet no cigar. 11.8 still suffers from the same "100% CPU hogging per OpenCL app" bug introduced with 11.7, but the corner mouse wedge was definitely gone. Didn't see any other issues during the time I was testing.

Unfortunately the busywait on a cpu core per OpenCL app is more of a showstopper for me and I had to revert to 11.6. I think that got fixed on Windows with 11.8, but I could be wrong. I have high hopes for 11.9, unless of course AMD decides to pack in a whole bunch of new weird regressions.

Performance is getting there. 5830 crossfire frame rates felt pretty close to an 8800GT and way faster than a 9500GT in the windows titles I briefly played with on a 3.6ghz i7, so we're talking about 1/4 of NV performance with wine 1.3 today. I'll definitely give ATI another shot in another 5 years.

Comment

Resizing of windows got extremely sluggish again with Ubuntu 11.04. Has somebody experienced similar issues?

Comment

Originally posted by RealNC View Post
                  Probably something related to OpenCL.
                  Hopefully both; hd8000 should enable significant enhancements to OpenCL.

Comment

On my 5770 still the same extreme lag when scrolling chromium, and firefox maximized on my 1080p display in ubuntu 11.04. This is with tear free enabled, which really needs some performance improvements, at the very least when it comes to 2D rendering, which for non gamers is 99% of what they are using, and even gamers are probably using 2d rendering most of the time they are on there computer anyway.
                    Anyone using chromium I found a workaround for the terrible scrolling lag I just described, type in about:flags into the address bar, and enable the the option: "GPU compositing on all pages". This works very well other than some very occasional very minor rendering mistakes that comes with it being an experimental feature of the browser (I'm using the dev build of chromium and it has the option, not sure how long its been there and what releases its in).

Personally I went back to the free drivers using oibaf's ppa, which work perfectly for 95% of the tasks I ever do on this box......the experience is seriously so much less of a headeache than dealing with catalysts constantly changing issues. If dynamic power clocking worked right, there would really be no reason to ever go back to catalyst
                    Last edited by chronniff; 24 August 2011, 02:37 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by chronniff View Post
                      On my 5770 still the same extreme lag when scrolling chromium, and firefox maximized on my 1080p display in ubuntu 11.04. This is with tear free enabled, which really needs some performance improvements, at the very least when it comes to 2D rendering, which for non gamers is 99% of what they are using, and even gamers are probably using 2d rendering most of the time they are on there computer anyway.
                      Anyone using chromium I found a workaround for the terrible scrolling lag I just described, type in about:flags into the address bar, and enable the the option: "GPU compositing on all pages". This works very well other than some very occasional very minor rendering mistakes that comes with it being an experimental feature of the browser (I'm using the dev build of chromium and it has the option, not sure how long its been there and what releases its in).

Personally I went back to the free drivers using oibaf's ppa, which work perfectly for 95% of the tasks I ever do on this box......the experience is seriously so much less of a headeache than dealing with catalysts constantly changing issues. If dynamic power clocking worked right, there would really be no reason to ever go back to catalyst
                      But you have disabled sync to vblank in Compiz have you?

Comment

Working...
                      X