Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Intel Proposes Major Additions To VA-API Acceleration

Phoronix: Intel Proposes Major Additions To VA-API Acceleration

Here's some more interesting news on top of photos of Steamworks on Linux. Intel has submitted a proposal to extend VA-API, the Video Acceleration API, to support H.264 encode and video post-processing. This is the video acceleration API used by Intel's graphics driver, among others, and is the second most popular Linux video API after NVIDIA's VDPAU, the Video Decode and Presentation API for Unix...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I have always wondered why there is two sets of libva patches. http://www.splitted-desktop.com/~gbeauchesne/libva/ using those patches I watch HD content on Intel for past year with mplayer...

Is it possible to integrate them into one package? I wish that would be done

Comment

Just a few corrections & additions:
      - The API already had JPEG, MPEG-4:2, H.263 & H.264 encoding support. Implementations mostly were for PowerVR-based chips.
      - The new H.264 VA encoding extensions were developed to fulfill needs of certain applications. They are finer grained and make it possible to expose up to high profile bits.
      - Implementations for VA/postproc & new VA/encode exist for Sandy Bridge and later in the vaapi-ext branch
      - We invite everybody to comment on those

Comment

Originally posted by ryszardzonk View Post
        I have always wondered why there is two sets of libva patches. http://www.splitted-desktop.com/~gbeauchesne/libva/ using those patches I watch HD content on Intel for past year with mplayer...

Is it possible to integrate them into one package? I wish that would be done
        The libva packages at SDS are no longer maintained. The upstream GIT repository can be used instead. If you think something is missing there, please tell. The VA compat code is really obsolete since it was only used for older binary-only drivers for PowerVR-based chips. They are now pretty current. i.e. built against current GIT tree.

Comment

For me the day of Desktop Linux will come,

when the VA-API acceleration for GM45 will be ready. I'm only waiting for it since 2008, no hurryz

Comment

Originally posted by gbeauche View Post
            The libva packages at SDS are no longer maintained. The upstream GIT repository can be used instead. If you think something is missing there, please tell. The VA compat code is really obsolete since it was only used for older binary-only drivers for PowerVR-based chips. They are now pretty current. i.e. built against current GIT tree.
            So libva 1.0.14 will work with the xvba 0.8 and vdpau 0.7 drivers?

Comment

Back in the day around libva 1.0.7 mplayer with libva patches didn't compile against that library hence the idea that those libraries are completely different. mplayer snapshot from 22 of march did compile now against libva 1.0.14 although updated patchset against recent code would be welcomed Maybe inclusion into master is possible?

gstreamer-vaapi didn't compile. Problem however was not vaapi itself but recent version of ffmpeg 0.8.2. gstreamer-vaapi would need to be updated to work with that library. Against older library it did compile just fine

Comment

Originally posted by FreeBSD View Post
                when the VA-API acceleration for GM45 will be ready. I'm only waiting for it since 2008, no hurryz
                Heh, I was waiting for the same for almost as long, finally gave up on it just yesterday and ordered a crystalhd mini-pcie card.

The promise of this on GM45 was a major influence on my last choice of notebook, so seriously, screw intel for this...

Comment

Originally posted by ryszardzonk View Post
                  Back in the day around libva 1.0.7 mplayer with libva patches didn't compile against that library hence the idea that those libraries are completely different. mplayer snapshot from 22 of march did compile now against libva 1.0.14 although updated patchset against recent code would be welcomed Maybe inclusion into master is possible?

gstreamer-vaapi didn't compile. Problem however was not vaapi itself but recent version of ffmpeg 0.8.2. gstreamer-vaapi would need to be updated to work with that library. Against older library it did compile just fine
                  I had tested vdpau-video & xvba-video with any upstream libva version up to 1.0.12. They all worked. I have not tried recently. You should still be able to build against the same libva.

For mplayer, I still didn't have the time to update it, it's not a libva problem AFAIK. libva is not enabled by default in recent FFmpeg versions btw.

About gstreamer-vaapi, I am pretty sure it works since I am using libva GIT on Sandy Bridge.
                  Though, you are true, this is only tested with FFmpeg 0.6 at this time.
                  The new GIT tree is available here: http://gitorious.org/vaapi/gstreamer-vaapi/

Comment

About gstreamer-vaapi, I am pretty sure it works since I am using libva GIT on Sandy Bridge.
                    Though, you are true, this is only tested with FFmpeg 0.6 at this time.
                    The new GIT tree is available here: http://gitorious.org/vaapi/gstreamer-vaapi/
                    gstreamer-vaapi compiled and working here with from git with ffmpeg 0.8.2

thanks for pointing out the new repository

Comment

Working...
                    X