Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SDFS: A File-System With Inline De-Duplication

Phoronix: SDFS: A File-System With Inline De-Duplication

ZFS is known for its de-duplication support and there are other file-systems (such as Dragonfly's HAMMER, plus work-in-progress support for Btrfs) that support this data compression feature of eliminating duplicate data. There's also a new project that we have just learned about which is SDFS, a file-system that offers inline de-duplication support...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Does this make SDFS the first (apparently) stable FS with de-dup support on linux? Be interesting to hear more, though it doesn't appear to be new...

Comment

Originally posted by Cyborg16 View Post
      Does this make SDFS the first (apparently) stable FS with de-dup support on linux? Be interesting to hear more, though it doesn't appear to be new...
      It's written in JAVA thus i wonder how fast/stable it can possible be... That is the biggest issue for me.
      I am interested to see new banchmarks aimed at the features of this FS compared to ZFS, BTRFS and those other filesystems that have deduplication support.

Comment

Benchmark the sucker :-)

Comment

Hey, squashfs has had dedup ever since it started

Comment

Originally posted by markg85 View Post
            It's written in JAVA thus i wonder how fast/stable it can possible be... That is the biggest issue for me.
            Sigh. Java is quite fast, all things considered. All modern implementations compile to machine code, either AOT using something like GCJ or at runtime via a JIT compiler. An loop over some math code in Java should be just as efficient as the exact same loop in C, assuming everything else is equal. For applications that are heavily I/O bound, the difference in language speed is almost completely negligible; it could be written in BASIC for all anyone should care. The rest of the speed is going to be based on algorithms, which are again completely neutral to the implementation language of choice.

The reputation Java has for being slow (and you are basing your fears off reputation, not any kind of in-depth recent experience, that is obvious) is based on two things: the poor performance of 15 year old JVMs such as the one Microsoft still ships, and the god-awful design and implementation of the AWT and Swing UI toolkits (anyone clued in these days uses SWT instead).

Comment

It runs over FUSE so Java won't be a bottleneck. As for stability, when was the last time you saw a filesystem driver crash? The language doesn't really matter, because any problems should be resolved before the thing goes live.

Comment

I'm liking ZFS on linux more... Even if it takes adding a PPA or compiling.

Comment

Originally posted by BlackStar View Post
                  It runs over FUSE so Java won't be a bottleneck. As for stability, when was the last time you saw a filesystem driver crash? The language doesn't really matter, because any problems should be resolved before the thing goes live.
                  Filesystem driver crash? Who's worried about that? It's avoiding corrupt data on disk you should be worried about with a new filesystem. I'm wondering about employing this or ZFS for a backup disk which could be a bit risky, but in theory it's a redundant backup anyway (the really important stuff gets backed up several ways).

ZFS generally looks good, but I don't think it's a panacea either in terms of data security or performance. Compiling a kernel module isn't too difficult; I hadn't realised they had a fully working driver already. Does anyone know much about the maturity of either driver?

Comment

Working...
                  X