Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ASUS P5E3 Deluxe

Phoronix: ASUS P5E3 Deluxe

Earlier this month we featured an exclusive preview of DeviceVM's SplashTop Technology, which is an instant-on Linux desktop environment that within five seconds of turning on your PC you could be inside a Firefox-based web-browser or talking with the Skype VoIP client. While more motherboards will be shipping with SplashTop shortly (as well as notebooks and desktops), the first motherboard with this embedded Linux technology is the ASUS P5E3 Deluxe. The Intel X38 Chipset was formally introduced earlier this month and that combined with SplashTop (or Express Gate, as ASUS calls it) should make for an interesting review of the P5E3 Deluxe. Other features for this motherboard include improved energy efficiency through an ASUS EPU (Energy Processing Unit), up to DDR3-1800 support, and integrated 802.11n WiFi.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

That SplashTop software seems to be very "hidden", as you can not find it on the ASUS support page. I guess someone has fear that it could be analysed without buying the board before. For the WLAN nic I would just use ndiswrapper. Maybe something newer that Ubuntu ships...

Comment

Originally posted by Kano View Post
      That SplashTop software seems to be very "hidden", as you can not find it on the ASUS support page. I guess someone has fear that it could be analysed without buying the board before. For the WLAN nic I would just use ndiswrapper. Maybe something newer that Ubuntu ships...
      Latest -git kernels have support for the RTL8187 (didn't test due to lack of hw)

Comment

/lib/modules/2.6.22-14-generic/ubuntu/wireless/rtl818x/rtl8187.ko

That module is already there in the extra package that Ubuntu uses, as I use that on Kanotix too (usually with some extra patches for special purpose) I know what 7.10 has... If the article was correct then it is not used. Btw. I would not rely on network-manager for testing, iwconfig/iwlist s is the preferred way to test it. lsusb of it would show me directly if there is a module for it or not.

But when you look at the specs it could not be rtl8187 as you need a draft-N chip.

Comment

Originally posted by Kano View Post
          But when you look at the specs it could not be rtl8187 as you need a draft-N chip.
          The windows drivers for this board use are called rtl8187.sys for the MAC portion.
          The Draft-N variant probably uses another PHY for which there are no drivers yet.

(what's network manager? I've been using i{f,w}config forever)
          Last edited by mlau; 22 October 2007, 02:27 PM.

Comment

Networkmanager is a toy from SuSE, it has one backend as system service and there are frontends for gnome and kde available. These replace old configuration tools. Btw. ndiswrapper would be the way to go, just use the win driver with it...

Comment

Hello,

I'm new to linux and I have a question:
              Does the Energy Processing Unit (EPU) on Asus P5E3 Deluxe exactly work like on other OS ?

Comment

Originally posted by Mahatma_Fatal_Error View Post
                Hello,

I'm new to linux and I have a question:
                Does the Energy Processing Unit (EPU) on Asus P5E3 Deluxe exactly work like on other OS ?
                No, since ASUS AI software isn't available for Linux.
                Michael Larabel
                https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
                  No, since ASUS AI software isn't available for Linux.
                  Is there any information out about what that "EPU"
                  actually is? Sounds to me Asus just rebranded the
                  AMT stuff intel integrates since the 965. An Intel
                  employee posted a driver for AMT-HECI stuff, and from
                  a cursory glance it looks exactly like this "EPU".

Comment

@ mlau -> There are some informatons about Asus P5E3 Deluxe Energy Processing Unit (in german)

Comment

Working...
                    X