Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Google Chrome Is Being Ported To Wayland

Phoronix: Google Chrome Is Being Ported To Wayland

Besides the exciting news last week that KDE has drawn up plans for Wayland in 2012, there's more good news in the land of this next-generation display server: the Google Chrome/Chromium web-browser is being ported to run on Wayland...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I'm no Xorg/Wayland expert but isn't the whole point of a toolkit like GTK to abstract away the fact your app is running on Xorg vs. Wayland? So why does Chrome need specific Wayland code?

Edit: oh nm, it's a Chromium developer committing a GTK patch.

Comment

Originally posted by leif81 View Post
      I'm no Xorg/Wayland expert but isn't the whole point of a toolkit like GTK to abstract away the fact your app is running on Xorg vs. Wayland? So why does Chrome need specific Wayland code?

Edit: oh nm, it's a Chromium developer committing a GTK patch.
      Yeah the title seemed a little confusing to me.

Comment

if google ends up using wayland will be a massive push and will benefit everyone (from drivers to whatever)

i wonder whats the situation with mozilla (regarding wayland)

Comment

chrome on wayland

does that mean chromebooks won't need X anymore? Maybe we(the community) can get google to help push development forward.

Comment

and hopefully nvidia and amd/ati will get on board sooner.

Comment

@Michael

it would be nice if you could arrange an interview with Kristian in order to clarify some things in Wayland (+many more)

Comment

Is Google really already using the Intel gallium driver in their chromebooks already or are some of their developers working on it with an eye to eventually use it?

Comment

Working...
                X