Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AMD Fusion A8-3850 APU "Llano" On Linux

Phoronix: AMD Fusion A8-3850 APU "Llano" On Linux

Late last month there were the first Radeon HD 6550D graphics benchmarks under Linux that were published on Phoronix. There has also been a stream of A8-3850 benchmark result uploads -- among other AMD Fusion APUs -- to OpenBenchmarking.org. In this review we are providing a set of computational benchmarks from this "Llano" Fusion APU compared to a handful of other systems in our labs.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

The i3 and i5 processors aren't quad core, they're dual core with multi-threading, which you've shown in your own benchmarks doesn't make that much difference

Comment

Originally posted by FireBurn View Post
      The i3 and i5 processors aren't quad core, they're dual core with multi-threading, which you've shown in your own benchmarks doesn't make that much difference
      The i5 IS a quad core.

Comment

Like to have in the system description sent to openbenchmark more detailed about the RAM. The size of the ram is not as important as the frequency of it for APU products. As far as I see the APU results differ for A8-3850 APU more than 33% with different RAM in the system. As is there is no evidence if the result of the processor is good or bad. I know phoronix is an one man show, so it may take longer to change this.

Comment

Originally posted by FireBurn View Post
          Wrong, the i5 is a physical quad-core.

Comment

Originally posted by _ONH_ View Post
            Like to have in the system description sent to openbenchmark more detailed about the RAM. The size of the ram is not as important as the frequency of it for APU products. As far as I see the APU results differ for A8-3850 APU more than 33% with different RAM in the system. As is there is no evidence if the result of the processor is good or bad. I know phoronix is an one man show, so it may take longer to change this.
            Phoronix Test Suite already supports doing the DIMM modules, including frequencies. However, under Linux, this only works when PTS is run as root since it needs DMI access.... So either the Phoronix Test Suite needs to always be run as root or there needs to be a new way to export RAM information in Linux.
            Michael Larabel
            https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Very nice review. Now that you have that USB power meter, could you publish power consumption figures for idle/gaming/compute too?

Comment

Originally posted by blackshard View Post
                Wrong, the i5 is a physical quad-core.
                Depends on which i5 you're talking about. I believe all the desktop i5s are quad-core, but my laptop's i5 is a dual core with hyperthreading (basically an i3 with Turbo enabled).

Comment

Out of curiosity - have you tried and had any problems with Ubuntu 11.10 (alpha3) on these?
                  11.04 looks to install out of the box, but 11.10 gives black screens immediately (i.e during installation).
                  Thankyou for the comparison command line too.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
                    Phoronix Test Suite already supports doing the DIMM modules, including frequencies. However, under Linux, this only works when PTS is run as root since it needs DMI access.... So either the Phoronix Test Suite needs to always be run as root or there needs to be a new way to export RAM information in Linux.
                    If I remember correctly, starting with Linux 2.6.39 DMI information can be exposed via sysfs and can thus be made accessible by non root users.

Comment

Working...
                    X