Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

So this means no more good RPGs for Linux?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So this means no more good RPGs for Linux?

This might be old news (Oct. 11), but I just found out today... EA is going to buy out BioWare... well their owner company (if they haven't already)... After the amazing job BioWare did with Neverwinter Nights in Linux, does this mean all hopes for upcoming games from that studio for Linux will be squashed? Of particular interest for me would be Dragon Age... I'm not so sure, but I thought there were strong signs of a Linux client for this game... Would the EA buy-out mean no Linux hope for games from that particular studio? I certainly hope not... comments?

Well if its far enough in development i dont think it makes sense to drop it. I think it also depends how much EA will actually interfere. This was the worst news for the gaming industry in a while imo. I hope they just leave Bioware do their thing and just cash in on the sales.

Comment

There are still many great RPG's for the linux platform, this is just one set-back. I recently read an article stating that EA was interesting in an "open platform," so you never know. They may actually be interested in linux.

Comment

Yes there are many good RPGs for Linux but NWN is the only one commercial I know about... Lets just see how well do they play with Linux.

Comment

Originally posted by Thetargos View Post
          Yes there are many good RPGs for Linux but NWN is the only one commercial I know about... Lets just see how well do they play with Linux.
          Keep in mind that just because it is the only commercial does not mean that there are not many other great titles out there.

Comment

Originally posted by W.Russell View Post
            Keep in mind that just because it is the only commercial does not mean that there are not many other great titles out there.
            I'm not saying that. Of course there are great titles (FreeDroid RPG, *Hack nethack implementations, etc, etc), despite how good they are, (native) commercial titles are also very much appreciated

Comment

I'm not saying that. Of course there are great titles (FreeDroid RPG, *Hack nethack implementations, etc, etc), despite how good they are, (native) commercial titles are also very much appreciated
              Hmph... And here you were all worked up over the stuff I was teasing you all over...

There will hopefully be at least 1 fully commercial title in the CRPG space, if not 2-3 of them, by middle to end of next year. And, I am NOT referring to Dragon Age (which would be nice if it DID grace Linux as a native client...).

Comment

Originally posted by Svartalf View Post
                Hmph... And here you were all worked up over the stuff I was teasing you all over...
                Why you, you... teaser!!
                Originally posted by Scartalf
                There will hopefully be at least 1 fully commercial title in the CRPG space, if not 2-3 of them, by middle to end of next year. And, I am NOT referring to Dragon Age (which would be nice if it DID grace Linux as a native client...).
                Now that's interesting... I guess you can't for the time being reveal which games are you referring to? Still these news are both soothing a reassuring.

Comment

Why you, you... teaser!!
                  Heh...

Now that's interesting... I guess you can't for the time being reveal which games are you referring to? Still these news are both soothing a reassuring.
                  Sorry, can't tell you what it is. If we do well with it, we'll very probably end up with a deal like we got from Egosoft on X2 and X3. As it stands, it'll get announced in due time. The FPS title I'd alluded to is still up in the air, but looks to be having the business side dealt with shortly. There's a whole bunch more I'd love to tease you with (as it's stuff Michael Simms is chasing down the deals on...) but since it's not close to being gelled, I'm not even going to go there.

I'm rather hopeful with what we're attempting over at LGP- but I'm not going to get you lot's hopes up until it's a LOT closer to reality.

Comment

and typically better, hence commercial...

Comment

Working...
                    X