Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: The first German-Turkish "Döner" Food Restaurant in the US:

one thing for Quaridariums recipe.

instead of using a spin roast device you can layer the meat thin on a baking pan and bake it in the oven until crisp (not the same thing but it will work)

also some people use beef and lamp (80/20)

also how much yeast for the buns?

I disagree with you all. I think Döner is disgusting, it stinks and it's unhealthy. As with any food you can mask the taste by pouring a lot of sauce on it, and that's what people do. I dare you to eat a whole Döner without sauce, bet you cannot finish it.

Döner is junk food, it's no better than the food you get at McDonald's or at the local Imbiss.

Quote Originally Posted by AnonymousCoward View Post
    I disagree with you all. I think Döner is disgusting, it stinks and it's unhealthy. As with any food you can mask the taste by pouring a lot of sauce on it, and that's what people do. I dare you to eat a whole Döner without sauce, bet you cannot finish it.

Döner is junk food, it's no better than the food you get at McDonald's or at the local Imbiss.
    yes BUT if you DIY and have control over what goes in it (ingredients) there is no such thing as junk food

there aren't many things that you cannot make at home

Well, from time to time I eat Döner without any sauce on it (even though I prefer to have sauce on it) and it's still quite delicious and with all the stuff in the Döner I doubt it's anywhere near "unhealthy". I hear Döner can be a lot worse in some of the bigger cities, but where I live, they're simply amazing.

Quote Originally Posted by d2kx View Post
    and with all the stuff in the Döner I doubt it's anywhere near "unhealthy"
    Actually, there were multiple scandals in Germany about meat ("Gammelfleisch") that was used in Döner shops because it was either too old or not meant for humans.

That absolutely depends on the Dönerbude. There a many cheap booths (Döner for about 2€) where the meat is sub-standard and the bread is industrial made. In this case it is better to throw your money in the gutter than spending it for that "junk".

But otherwise there are many very good Dönerbuden where you get fresh baked bread, very good meat and many different salads and vegetables as supplement. In this booths a Döner normally costs about 3 to 4€.

The main problem of a good Döner are the proportion of its ingredients. The salad and the meat should split roughly 50:50 and there should be not too much sauce be poured over the salad. Many makers are drowning the Döner in the sauce. And many booths put to much meat into the Döner, so you only get the meat-aroma instead of the combination of everything.

As i said, it depends on the booth. And if you don't like meat at all, there are even vegetarian Döners.

P.S.:

Funny thing. Germans discussing about Döner-Kebab in an english forum ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by 89c51 View Post
    one thing for Quaridariums recipe.

instead of using a spin roast device you can layer the meat thin on a baking pan and bake it in the oven until crisp (not the same thing but it will work)
    really not the same sure... pan meat does not taste the same...

also some people use beef and lamp (80/20)
    in the past the tuerkey people only use lamp... but meat is cheaper in germany

also how much yeast for the buns?
    you need to read your product you use....

there are weat yeast and dried yeast but more or less only matters for the time you need to grow it.

if you don't have time use the double of yeast product and only let it grow half time.

Actually, there were multiple scandals in Germany about meat ("Gammelfleisch") that was used in Döner shops because it was either too old or not meant for humans.
    sure sure but you just write FUD...

i call you how to make your own döner.... you can not get bad stuff in it if you do all your self.

and if you don't like old meat just kill the cow by yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by glasen View Post
    Funny thing. Germans discussing about Döner-Kebab in an english forum ;-)
    not only a english forum its a computer tech forum full of geeks…. LOL

thats was my idear°!

Usually when someone gives a recipe goes for either grams or baker percentages. And they usually make a note on yeast amount depending on they type. Also you didnt give the amount of baking powder needed