Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What Mesa Has Left With OpenGL 3, OpenGL 4

Phoronix: What Mesa Has Left With OpenGL 3, OpenGL 4

With the release this week of the OpenGL 4.2 specification (and accompanying GL Shading Language 4.20 revision), the TODO list for the open-source Mesa developers just got a bit longer. Mesa / Gallium3D still lacks full support for OpenGL 3.0 and all of the revisions since that 2008 specification release...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Mesa already has a patch to enable OpenGL 4.2 GL_ARB_conservative_depth, since it's the same as the already implemented AMD version.

GL_ARB_texture_compression_bptc may also be interesting. I believe it can replace S3TC and is without patents. The downside is all the existing games out there that are using S3TC, it will take a while for new games to start using the new texture format. But hopefully that will start to happen.

For any Mesa guys reading this: is it possible to take a pre-compressed S3TC texture from a game, decode it on the CPU with the S2TC work (which i believe Jose said would be fine), and the encode it to BPTC and send it to the GPU? From what i gather the real algorithm is quite CPU intensive so it might take too long, but perhaps some shortcuts at the expense of quality can be taken much like S2TC skips some of the S3TC algorithm?

Just an idea...

Comment

It'll be great when GL_EXT_gpu_shader4 implementation drops. I see several patches on the mesa-dev list mentioning it. It'll mean shader model 3.0 support can be reported by d3d9, which I am waiting on for EVE Online to work again.

Comment

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
        Phoronix: What Mesa Has Left With OpenGL 3, OpenGL 4

With the release this week of the OpenGL 4.2 specification (and accompanying GL Shading Language 4.20 revision), the TODO list for the open-source Mesa developers just got a bit longer. Mesa / Gallium3D still lacks full support for OpenGL 3.0 and all of the revisions since that 2008 specification release...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=OTc3OA

Such a very amazing link!

Comment

Working...
        X