AMD Puts Out An OpenGL 4.2 Linux Driver

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mirv View Post
    Kind of strange, as I've had no such problems with fglrx, aside from a corrupt mouse cursor on a secondary monitor. That one is annoying; even if I'm back to a single monitor, I know it's still affecting others. I'm curious though - which opengl extensions doesn't it support that it claims it does? I think their early-bird OpenGL 4.1 driver had one (or was it 2?) issues where something wasn't on spec, but that was cleared up on official release. I've encountered no such issues with OpenGL 3.x, or with 2.x (which I admittedly don't program with anymore).
    You also mentioned that the GNOME shell had problems - but what problems? Complaining is one thing, but aside from a single firefox issue (which could well be a problem with firefox, not the drivers) I haven't read any actual issue.
    I tried to get a screenshot of it but it wouldn't work with FGLRX loaded, there were rainbows and static everywhere like being on acid or something,
    and the framerate was like half of what the open source radeon driver gives me.

Nvidia's blob manages to run GNOME Shell, what the hell is wrong with AMD? Could they lift a finger to fix their mess? Please? If you want some fun with KDE, force the OpenGL 2 backend in KDE 4.7 and watch the fun begin. vsync or tear free desktop make it painfully slow, so disable them and it seems to run fine until you load a game and it destroys X. (which also happens in GNOME.

KDE 4.7 feeds FGLRX the obsolete OpenGL 1.4 backend to make it shut up and work. Should it have to?

Comment

Originally posted by Luke_Wolf View Post
      Actually as far as I could tell, AMD is pimping out both linux and windows, such as here http://sites.amd.com/us/business/sof...es/redhat.aspx And if you want to really ask questions about advertising, why the hell is it that until I set up my DNS black hole, whenever I would go to any Linux site I'd see Microsoft Advertisements? I've seen more microsoft advertisements on linux sites than anywhere else.
      Yeah, it seems like Microsoft has bought sourceforge if you go there without ad blocking on.

redhat.aspx? lol?

Comment

Originally posted by Luke_Wolf View Post
        Actually as far as I could tell, AMD is pimping out both linux and windows, such as here http://sites.amd.com/us/business/sof...es/redhat.aspx And if you want to really ask questions about advertising, why the hell is it that until I set up my DNS black hole, whenever I would go to any Linux site I'd see Microsoft Advertisements? I've seen more microsoft advertisements on linux sites than anywhere else.
        As Michael said, Microsoft ads pay more. Be happy your fave linux sites are getting more money

Comment

Who's to blame for FGLRX not working in Gnome Shell? Is it the Gnome devs or AMD? Either way, AMD should probably step up and put some effort into fixing the problem.

Comment

Originally posted by gururise View Post
            Who's to blame for FGLRX not working in Gnome Shell? Is it the Gnome devs or AMD? Either way, AMD should probably step up and put some effort into fixing the problem.
            And GNOME should put in some effort to fix things too. I should probably make a disclaimer at this point: I don't deal directly with opengl interaction with X, so I'm not sure of what magic is done in there. I just wanted to point out that people are so quick to blame AMD for everything that they forget the other side - gnome. Who's to "blame"? Well, don't know that one. Maybe one, maybe the other, maybe both. People love to bandy nvidia's name about, but they conveniently forget that developers have had time to work around nvidia's driver problems (and new ones to crop up from time to time too). See wine for additional examples of that.
            If something is broken in the way gnome does things, AMD shouldn't have to break their drivers to be compatible. Vice versa. Same applies with nvidia. Same with any open source driver.
            Or put in another way: blaming AMD when you don't actually know what the problem is, doesn't make any sense. Blame them when you know what their driver is doing wrong, blame gnome when they're doing something wrong (maybe FBO attachments aren't the same bit-depth, stuff like that), and equally blame nvidia for what's broken in their drivers.

Comment

I'm with mirv
              I have not encountered any big problems for a year at least. When I switched from nvidia to amd, for me it was getting better and better. I have nice story about PM issues with nvidia for 2 years on nvnews... No fix... AMD is actually done a lot better job for me than nvidia.
              No need to blame AMD when there is no proof that actually they are responsible for the bug.

The big one to me seems to be gnome-shell slowness and corruption, KDE 4.7 works perfectly for me or I'm just lukcy (why not others?). I have mobility 3650, works nice, really. No issues with the driver.

Of want to blame anyone, get a proof and blame, that's the rule, else it's speculation and FUD

Comment

been using amd since beginning of 2010 (ati 5770). havent had any major driver issues.
                only bug that im having is the mouse cursor stuck thingy. last 3 drivers with that bug.
                native games have been working fine with amd and some wine games too. compiz works and no issues with tearing anymore aswell.
                with nvidia i had more wine games working tho. with amd its little problematic. but those probably some wine bugs.

Comment

Originally posted by DaemonFC View Post
                  Yeah, except these aren't new. (except the watermark of course)

AMD's FGLRX team blows. Seriously, I have had nothing but problems out of that thing and all they do every month is bump the version and lie about more OpenGL extensions it doesn't properly support.
                  don't have problems with kde 4.7

Comment

Originally posted by Qaridarium
                    what is wrong in using the ogl 1,4 renderer until the openGL2 or openGL2ES renderer works ?
                    well it is an fglrx issue since nvidia blob, nouveau, intel dri and r600g run the opengl2 path in kwin perfectly but my 4850x2 with catalyst any version (properly installed) just get really funky here, is not like i care too much on my side since i trully love r600g

btw i check catalyst not for masochist (you need to be) but because i got some clients i can't convince to abandon firepro for some good supported quadro cards, so i have to check from time to time if fglrx is stable to avoid shoot myself in the foot offering me to upgrade their drivers

Comment

That driver shows version 8.88.8 in the installer, 8.880 for the debs created. Basically it should be a 11-8 driver from that version. Sadly that driver is unstable. When i do absolutely nothing just KDE 4.4.5 (with effects forced on) the system crashes after a while. Tested with 3.0.1 kernel on Debian squeeze 64 bit, i7-880, 10 gb ram and of course AMD HD 5670. The driver can be installed using -vs option to my script, best combine with -z and reboot after install, short (as root)
                      Code:
                      sh install-fglrx-debian.sh -zvs

Should work with U too, but did only test on D. -z means no X kill (will usually crash fglrx), so preferred way.
                      Last edited by Kano; 11 August 2011, 08:32 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X