Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ET: Quake Wars - NVIDIA Performance

Phoronix: ET: Quake Wars - NVIDIA Performance

The Linux client for Enemy Territory: Quake Wars was released yesterday, but can you expect this Linux-native game to run with your existing hardware? In addition to this first person shooter being very multi-core friendly, it does require more graphical horsepower than any current Linux game. While there is a "low quality" mode for ET: Quake Wars, quite frankly it looks like crap. On the opposite end of the scale, this game does support Soft Particles and other improvements to make this a stunningly beautiful experience. To help you determine what works on the NVIDIA side, we have taken three midrange GeForce graphics cards and tried them out with Enemy Territory: Quake Wars.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

dual core problem

Unfortunately for me, the ET:QW demo doesn't seem to be very dual core friendly at all on my 32 bit Kubuntu gutsy and Intel C2D E6400.

Can you explain a bit more about how you configured the game to use multiple cores?

I think only one CPU is being detected by the game.

When I run the game and watch cpu monitors, one CPU gets a lot of use and the other gets barely any at all.

When I try setting the variable "r_useSMP" to "1" the game segfaults.

When I click to auto-detect my graphics settings, it sets everything to lowest quality even though I have E6400 3GB RAM NVIDIA 7950 GTS 512MB. And the console output says parsing error when it tries to read /proc/cpuinfo. Even though /proc/cpuinfo is readable by the user and shows both CPUs. The console output also seems to show only one detected Intel CPU.

When I try to look at "sys_cpuSpeed" and "sys_cpuPhysicalCount" in game, neither variable exists.

So there is a bug in the game for me. Any of this happen for you? Or anyone else with dual core? Any at all?

Also where can the netdemo used in this article be downloaded so we can compare against these results?

Thanks!! Great website!

Comment

Great little article. As soon as I get a chance to download ET:QW, I will run some benchmarks with my onboard GeForce 6100.

Comment

@Michael: can you provide these demos so that we can compare results and such ?

Comment

I am having the exact same problems with dual core as you are. I receive the same parse error and it will only show me as having one core and set all settings to low. As for FPS results I have a Geforce 6800 and I get anywhere from 12 to 32 FPS with settings all the way up. Really depends on where I am, like the starting point in the valley on either side is 30 FPS and once I get to the bridge it goes down to 12 FPS.

Comment

Originally posted by KohlyKohl View Post
            I am having the exact same problems with dual core as you are. I receive the same parse error and it will only show me as having one core and set all settings to low. As for FPS results I have a Geforce 6800 and I get anywhere from 12 to 32 FPS with settings all the way up. Really depends on where I am, like the starting point in the valley on either side is 30 FPS and once I get to the bridge it goes down to 12 FPS.
            Ah, thanks for mentioning it, as it's not only me! I started a thread on the ETQW forums and posted my /proc/cpuinfo for id's TTimo. Maybe you can pop in and post a 'me too' and your /proc/cpuinfo too that might help out. My FPS only drops nearly that much on highest when there is a lot of action going on or up to 10 fps drop when close to certain bushes and looking the right way, but it depends on FSAA and resolution too. Hopefully there's a detection fix/workaround or will be one, and we can boost our FPS.

Comment

yeah, i've got those massive fps drops too. it's very annyoing and nothing like the windows beta... never had that problem there and the beta client wasn't supposed to be "optimized". average fps is about as useless a value as it gets. i don't care if i get 200fps indoors but only 10fps outdoors, when it's croweded.

a direct fps comparison to the windows version would be nice too

Comment

Try if you are experiencing the huge FPS drop when moving fast (e.g. when flying with an air vehicle with "Shift").

Comment

OMG!

this is so bad

i even get 3-4 fps when some action is on screen, with an average of 12-15 maybe, and i did not even shoot anyone
                  even spectating is this bad

comparing that to an average of 25fps on Windows makes me sad

(this is Valley)

amd3500+/1gb/7600gs/512mb/zenwalk
                  kernel 2.6.22.9/nvidia 100.14.23
                  1280x1024/all maxed out/vsync on/no AA

what's wrong ???

Comment

Running the demo here on gutsy, 100.14.19 driver and an 8600GT 256mb. Works fine from what I see with everything up high 1280x800 no AA, 8x AF, might be 2x faster on windows though...

HOWEVER, xorg is rubbish at dual screens, ubuntu didn't go with xorg 7.3 but does nvidia support the new dynamic resolution/screen shuffling now? I'm sick of twinview and having a full screen game not displaying properly at all, and in xinerama separate x screen mode, the mouse locks up on some turns, really annoying.

*gripe gripe gripe*

Comment

Working...
                    X