Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mesa Developers Still Fear Patent Wrath With S2TC

Phoronix: Mesa Developers Still Fear Patent Wrath With S2TC

One month ago I mentioned there was a possible workaround for the S3TC patent situation. The possible S3TC workaround was S2TC, which is a simpler implementation of texture compression than the patented S3 Texture Compression algorithms, and comes gratis from the developers of the Xonotic game. However, Mesa developers still aren't thrilled about this possible solution...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Well Jose Fonseca certainly seems to be a testy little bitch. I think it's great that the original implementor of the patented algorithm has a TECHNICAL comment on what somebody else has done, in relations to his own (patented) work. I don't get the whole "this is our turf, back the FUCK OFF!" that goes on in so many FOSS projects.

Comment

Originally posted by Azpegath View Post
      Well Jose Fonseca certainly seems to be a testy little bitch. I think it's great that the original implementor of the patented algorithm has a TECHNICAL comment on what somebody else has done, in relations to his own (patented) work. I don't get the whole "this is our turf, back the FUCK OFF!" that goes on in so many FOSS projects.
      While he perhaps came across as testy, it seems he does have a point. I am however about the read the mailing list to get a better idea of things for myself.
      Actually, I'm far more interested in libsquish - I'd actually not heard of that before and it sounds like I'd find it useful. libtxc is good, but I'll see if libsquish is better for my purposes.

Comment

"Hi HTC,

We have developed this piece of code. Does it infringe any if your IP? Especially pertaining to the S3TC patent?

Kind regards XXXX"

Comment

Originally posted by crispy View Post
          "Hi HTC,
          We have developed this piece of code. Does it infringe any if your IP? Especially pertaining to the S3TC patent?
          Kind regards XXXX"
          +1. While it is true that infringing on a patent might be a huge thing (even though it's not for companies holding patents on their own since they use them for defense), the ability to not fully fulfill standards is also a huge thing. I think Mesa should prioritize and focus some more on these issues. I'm not saying "they suck", I think Mesa is great and I'm using FOSS drivers since several years back and even bought my ATI card because they had an open source policy, but I just think that this should at least have some priority.

Comment

Someone mentioned that attempts were made to contact them, but they don't reply.

Comment

Originally posted by mirv View Post
              While he perhaps came across as testy, it seems he does have a point. I am however about the read the mailing list to get a better idea of things for myself.
              Actually, I'm far more interested in libsquish - I'd actually not heard of that before and it sounds like I'd find it useful. libtxc is good, but I'll see if libsquish is better for my purposes.
              Libsquish appears to be stalled. NVTT is based on it and is actively developed:

Comment

If they have been contacted by mail, email, phones, personal meetings, fax and so on they can not claim ignorance of this piece of code and argue in court that they did not know of its existence.

At least thats how it should work in a sane system

Comment

Originally posted by RealNC View Post
                  Someone mentioned that attempts were made to contact them, but they don't reply.
                  Ah, that sucks.

Comment

Heres the address for HTC in Europe: Wellington Street, Slough, Berkshire SL1 1YP, England. Maybe mesa developers would write an official inquiry letter that someone could bring personally to that office and make sure it get to the right person. Id go, but I dont have the letter or live in Berkshire ;(

Comment

Working...
                    X