No announcement yet.

Ubuntu 7.10 + WINE vs. Windows XP

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Was this test done using nVidia's AGP driver or the system's? For me, using nVidia's built-in AGP driver results in a considerable performance boost (almost on the level of disabling the compositing module).

It's set in xorg.conf's video card section, see the documentation for more information.

Code:
    Option "NvAGP" "2"

Comment

Useles comparison

Nvidia and AMD/ATI uses thousends of labour hours for tunning their windows drivers to get high scores on benchmarks. No linux driver get's such attention and Futuremarks test's are developed only for windows so there is no tunning for these tests in linux 3d drivers.

To make meaningful WINE test use something which is developed for windows, but hadn't been so owerly tuned by driver developers!

Comment

I wonder to see the same test with ATI cards
        fglrx and open source driver

Comment

I think testing for 3DMark isn't the right way to go. You should have tested games. Source games and probably other stuff. There are games that run great with wine and other don't.

Comment

You could try renameing the executable in Win then maybe some gfx driver hacks are disabled.

Comment

Originally posted by Noneus View Post
              I think testing for 3DMark isn't the right way to go. You should have tested games. Source games and probably other stuff. There are games that run great with wine and other don't.
              The last time I was able to play a HL2 based game was years ago with my nVidia GF FX 5600. Even Wine 0.9.47 won't let me play. Crashes at game startups (at the moment), blackscreen after map loading, Steam is not updating etc.... I've got all of that. If you're running fglrx and HL2 based games, I'd like to know what you've done for that.

Comment

I'm using crossover office and nvidia...

Comment

@michael
                  Could you please check 3dmark03 with wine-0.9.45?
                  Im creator of http://bugs.winehq.org/show_bug.cgi?id=9768
                  As no one has verified the correctness of the bug Im looking for someone with 2 graphic cards

When both cards reaches higher fps in wine .45, its probably a bug somewhere in wine.
                  If only the 8600GT has higher speeds, its just another performance bug in the nvidia-driver.
                  thx

Comment

[quote=Strunkenbold;15441]@michael
                    Could you please check 3dmark03 with wine-0.9.45?/quote]

Yeah, sure. It may take a couple days to get to it in my schedule, but will try to test it with WINE 0.9.45 ASAP.
                    Michael Larabel
                    https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Wine > 9.45 has been making a lot of changes to how Direct3D is handled. They transfered from GLX to WGL (i.e. moving a lot of lower-level graphics routines into wine) to improve compatibility. Also, if you check the wine release docs, you'll see almost a hundred Direct3D changes in the combination of 9.46 and 9.47. The net result is a decrease in performance and a whole bunch of regression issues for (hopefully) some improved long-term compatibility and maintainability. If you check the 3DMark 2001 SE winhq database, http://appdb.winehq.org/objectManage...rsion&iId=4544 I'm (tillin9 = Scott) the one making all the comments. At least with my 9700 Pro, these recent changes took a mostly working benchmark (some pixel shader things were unsupported, either by wine or the ATI driver) and broke it. Another big issue for running Windows games under wine is the OpenGL child issue, which prevents Project64 1.6 http://appdb.winehq.org/objectManage...TestingId=6006 from working (despite a fix for this issue in 9.47) I'd actually appreciate it if an Nvidia user tried it (as this might be an ATI driver issue).

Also won't hurt if anybody on the forums is a registered wine user to vote for these apps to increase developer attention.

Comment

Working...
                      X