Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ubuntu 7.10 + WINE vs. Windows XP

Phoronix: Ubuntu 7.10 + WINE vs. Windows XP

This week's release of Ubuntu 7.10 "Gutsy Gibbon" is a significant win for the free software community. Not only does this release incorporate an updated package set -- most notably with the Linux 2.6.22 kernel and GNOME 2.20, but it also delivers on new desktop innovations from BulletProofX and displayconfig-gtk to Compiz Fusion being enabled by default on supported systems. However, for those business professionals and gamers that remain dependent on some Windows-only binary applications, the WINE (WINE Is Not An Emulator) project has been making some excellent headway into supporting Windows applications on the Linux desktop. With Ubuntu 7.10 and WINE 0.9.46 in hand, we had set out to compare the performance between Windows XP and Gutsy Gibbon with WINE on two popular DirectX benchmarks.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I wonder how the results would be if this was "Phoronix: Ubuntu 7.10 + WINE vs. Windows Vista".

Trek1701

Comment

@Trek1701: I wonder that, too.
      And I wonder how would the tests come with Wine 0.9.47 on Ubuntu 7.10 with Compiz-Fussion disabled and some no needed CPU and RAM eating processes killed (Ubuntu starts some not needed in most cases services on boot like bluetooth and tablet PC touchscreen config in xorg.conf - I don't remember which services besides that I've disabled just after first boot).
      It would be great if the tests would cover games which have native Linux clients to compare performance between native games and Windows binaries under Wine like Quake 3 & 4, Doom 3, ET: Quake Wars, Unreal 2, UT 2004, etc.
      The last thing - I'd like to see those tests compared with ATI/AMD cards on 8.42 driver, too.

Comment

well, i have the feeling, GLSL was disabled during the benchmark?, because it can give a big performance gain

Comment

I haven't done any extensive benchmarks or anything, but I found wine 0.9.46 to be a particularly bad version for DirectX performance when playing Command and Conquer Tiberium Wars. It was so bad that it was nearly unplayable where previously it ran very well. While 0.9.47 seems to have restored most of the lost performance from .46, I find that versions of wine <= 0.9.43 for now have the best DirectX performance, at least for that particular game. This is using an NVidia 7800GTX. I can't help but wonder why they picked that particular version. Perhaps it was simply the highest revision available at the time they locked down their packages.
          Last edited by immudium; 19 October 2007, 07:56 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by .CME. View Post
            well, i have the feeling, GLSL was disabled during the benchmark?, because it can give a big performance gain
            GLSL was enabled (from the Registry) in a second set of tests and with 3DMark it actually caused worse performance.
            Michael Larabel
            https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Personally, I'm having serious problems these days getting anything 3D to run with Wine. No problem with Linux native OpenGL apps, however.

I'm using a 8600GTS with the proprietary nvidia driver. Any special driver setting I should be aware of ?

Comment

My experience in Wine has been generally good. However I haven't been able to test Wine with decent video performance due to ATI driver issues. But on my Geforce FX 5500 everything that had a gold rating on the Wineapp database ran decent. Especially if it was a opengl game. I tend to remember Deus Ex ran flawless in opengl mode in Wine for example.

Originally posted by remm View Post
                Personally, I'm having serious problems these days getting anything 3D to run with Wine. No problem with Linux native OpenGL apps, however.

I'm using a 8600GTS with the proprietary nvidia driver. Any special driver setting I should be aware of ?
                What kind of apps/games are you trying to run?

Comment

Originally posted by xeros View Post
                  It would be great if the tests would cover games which have native Linux clients to compare performance between native games and Windows binaries under Wine like Quake 3 & 4, Doom 3, ET: Quake Wars, Unreal 2, UT 2004, etc.
                  Unreal 2 was never released for Linux. It has a DirectX-only renderer, and uses an early version of the Unreal Engine 2 (not nearly as polished as UT2K4 is)

Comment

Did you try what impact enabled compiz has?

Comment

Working...
                    X