Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Plans For KDE Frameworks 5.0 Were Just Announced

Phoronix: The Plans For KDE Frameworks 5.0 Were Just Announced

There's more news this weekend out of Berlin about the Linux desktop. Beyond KDE on Wayland and primitive talk about GTK4, at the joint KDE-GNOME Desktop Summit, plans for KDE Frameworks 5.0 were announced...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Is it coincidental the KDE and Qt seem to share major version numbers?

Comment

Originally posted by Shining Arcanine View Post
      No. (Post lenght)

Comment

In both Qt and KDE, change in the major version number indicates an ABI break (eg breaks binary compatibility). As the KDE libraries extends the Qt libraries, the KDE major version will always change when the Qt major version does. In theory KDE could release a new major version use the same Qt version, or skip an entire Qt major series, sticking with an old Qt, but so far neither has happened, and thus they still share the major version number.

Comment

KDE does not have a number. Qt has.

Comment

suggestion for KDE 5

By any chance you guys can make the KDE 5 less options?
            or provide a way for people to fork KDE to became KDE-Simple ?
            or provide an option in KDE 5 Control Panel which can overide the default setting?

I love KDE. but it have too much option. yes, people will scold me with "KDE have greater flexibility", but that's not the point. sometimes you need the simplicity. Sometimes you need the flexibility.

Comment

Originally posted by misterpah View Post
              or provide an option in KDE 5 Control Panel which can overide the default setting?

I love KDE. but it have too much option. yes, people will scold me with "KDE have greater flexibility", but that's not the point. sometimes you need the simplicity. Sometimes you need the flexibility.
              Which options do you cut? Just look here and elsewhere at the KDE 3.5 fans screaming bloody murder because a pet feature or option was removed between KDE 3 and KDE4 most of the grievances are over features that I never personally use or used. I imagine that the simplified set of options that you would want would not be the same as the simplified environment I would pick.

I might question need for 5 different theming sections in configuration Widget Style, Gtk WidgetStyle, Colour scheme, Window Decorations, Workspace theme.

I agree that setting system can be overly complex but I don't see any way to simplify it significantly without alienating a significant portion of the existing users, many who use KDE precisely because they can configure it to work precisely the way they want.

Comment

Wait, so you want to remove options from KDE...by adding more options?

Comment

Originally posted by kayosiii View Post
                  I might question need for 5 different theming sections in configuration Widget Style, Gtk WidgetStyle, Colour scheme, Window Decorations, Workspace theme.
                  We could get rid of one of those if GTK would just use the native widget style when running under KDE, but they so far have not bothered to implement that, hence the need for a workaround in KDE. I don't see how you could get rid of the others.

Comment

You don't want KDE to follow Gnome3 do you? Rather than removing options it's better to hide them somewhere.

Comment

Working...
                    X