Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ubuntu 7.10 Now Available For Download

Phoronix: Ubuntu 7.10 Now Available For Download

Right on time, Ubuntu 7.10 "Gutsy Gibbon" has been released. From the number of articles we've had on Ubuntu 7.10 during its development cycle, Gutsy Gibbon is certainly an interesting creation and is definitely worth checking out both on the desktop and server.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

From what I've seen and experienced with the pre-releases, this is the easiest and most polished release out of this project.

Comment

I installed Ubuntu 7.10 however when I tried the non-free selection for ATI driver it failed and left me with a blank screen.
      I was able to successfully get flgrx to install however by using kanotix's ATI driver script.
      kudo's to Kano for his excellent script and his distro.
      Further testing, the fglrx does not work, only the radeon vesa, I have a ATI1300 pro with 512mb ram and 2.6.22-14-generic #1 S
      Ubuntu kernel. I might add that kano's script on kanotix thorhammer rc6 worked with the ATI1300 and 8.41.7 driver but not with
      Ubuntu 7.10 go figure.
      Last edited by wirechief; 20 October 2007, 09:31 AM.

Comment

I'm trying it out right now and it seems pretty good, FGLRX works, as always for me. Its got some nice little improvements. Besides the under the hood improvements, there isn't much that I've noticed. Except fast user switching was brought in. And now its auto created Music, Videos, Documents and Pictures directories too.

But other than that, I haven't seen anything really distro specific thats been done here, but it is a very solid distro and seems pretty stable. Probably the best thing they did was have Compiz Fusion out of the box. Although I don't know if its just me, but it also seems a little more responsive than the last version of Ubuntu.

The only bad thing I can say about Ubuntu is that the update servers have been pretty slow but thats not their fault really, its just so popular and so many people are trying to upgrade/download stuff right now.
        Last edited by Malikith; 19 October 2007, 11:28 AM.

Comment

Well, I had the ATI driver working under kanotix so I copied it over to the Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbons and replaced the non-working xorg.conf with the one from kanotix (it was created using kano's script for fglrx) and now fglrx is working. Before trying this though I followed the suggestions found here: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Fi...esolutionHowto
          they did not resolove the issue, it complained of missing a section #
          when I added the fix's, all the commands worked and displayed the correct H and V freqs and they were listed in the xorg.conf that was not working, the only section that was not present was the monitor section and perhaps that is what was needed. again good on Kano for his great script.

Comment

From what i've seen, ubuntu is going on the right direction.

Comment

Working...
            X