Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Doom 3 Source-Code To Be Released This Year

Phoronix: Doom 3 Source-Code To Be Released This Year

Just as suspected: the source-code to id Software's Doom 3 game will be publicly released this year!..

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Cool news. I hope it helps that Hexen remake project, because I'd really like to see that shine. I <3 Hexen. First game I ever modded, back when I was a wee lad.

The cynical bastard in me has this to say, however: Soon, FOSS games will transform from horrifically out-dated technology to just extremely out-dated technology.

Comment

Originally posted by elanthis View Post
      Cool news. I hope it helps that Hexen remake project, because I'd really like to see that shine. I <3 Hexen. First game I ever modded, back when I was a wee lad.

The cynical bastard in me has this to say, however: Soon, FOSS games will transform from horrifically out-dated technology to just extremely out-dated technology.
      So does this mean Michael will start testing it in his benchmarks? It would be nice to have something as an alternative to Nexuiz.

Comment

Well, we have Xonotic now.....

Comment

The Dark Mod

I can't speak for the Hexen EOC team, but we at The Dark Mod are very excited about this news.

It will help overcome things like CPU driven animation bottlenecks, problems with collision reliability and hard-coded limits.

If you are a fan of the Thief games you should check-out the mod:

THE DARK MOD was once a total conversion of Doom 3, and is now a STANDALONE GAME with the release of TDM 2.0! A dark and moody stealth game, inspired by the Thief series by Looking Glass Studios.

THE DARK MOD is a FREE first person stealth game inspired by the Thief series by Looking Glass Studios. Download and play hundreds of missions for free.

(It might also be a good Benchmark as some missions are extremely large and performance intensive. For example the "No Honor Among Thieves" campaign.)

Comment

The Dark Mod

I can't speak for the Hexen EOC team, but we at The Dark Mod are very excited about this news.

It will help overcome things like CPU driven animation bottlenecks, problems with collision reliability and hard-coded limits.

www moddb<dot>com/mods/the-dark-mod

www thedarkmod<dot>com

(It might also be a good Benchmark as some missions are extremely large and performance intensive. For example the "No Honor Among Thieves" campaign.)

Comment

Originally posted by nbohr1more View Post

THE DARK MOD was once a total conversion of Doom 3, and is now a STANDALONE GAME with the release of TDM 2.0! A dark and moody stealth game, inspired by the Thief series by Looking Glass Studios.

THE DARK MOD is a FREE first person stealth game inspired by the Thief series by Looking Glass Studios. Download and play hundreds of missions for free.

Do you plan to port your mod to Linux?

Comment

Does this mean Doom 3 will be free to play?

Comment

Originally posted by Frankin View Post
                  Does this mean Doom 3 will be free to play?
                  It's source code, not game data. Same deal as with everything else id has released.

Comment

Originally posted by whizse View Post
                    It's source code, not game data. Same deal as with everything else id has released.
                    Isn't there some freely available data? I seem to remember there was a demo, those files should work..?!

Comment

Working...
                    X