Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Firegl is no longer supported in newer Fglrx?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Firegl is no longer supported in newer Fglrx?

Hello,

I think i have run into a problem, and i'd like to know if anyone has found a workaround.
    I have a T60p with a FireGL V5200 (R5xx based ~ x1600). The problem i'm facing is using the proprietary fglrx driver with OpenSuse 10.3, which is built on kernel 2.6.22 by default.
    The latest driver from ATi/AMD is from the 27th March '07, but it simply doesn't work with the latest kernel, and there are many compile errors - it simply fails. It compiles fine under OpenSuse 10.2 (2.6.18 afaik) and works great.

So i find it a little hard to believe why ATi doesn't support FireGL cards with their newer Fglrx drivers.

- Is there any 'hacks' to make even the 8.40 driver work with the FireGL v5200?
    - Does anyone know when to expect support for this card in the drivers that are compatible with the latest kernels?

Uh... NO. That is an assumption on your part there.

They're trying to get the new architecture driver fully up and running. Since they have NOT validated the FireGL cards against the 8.41 driver, they're turned off right now. It's expected that they will turn it back on shortly as the chips are intrinsically the same GPUs as the ones in the consumer cards- just with different clock speeds and more rigorous testing done to them.

I'd recommend patience on your part and not be jumping to conclusions about things just yet- which is what you're doing right now.

Comment

Thanks for your reply

I'm trying not to jump to conclusions - and it isn't my intent if it came out like that. I was merely speculating, since the other fglrx driver has had in the region of 5 updates since. But i'll stay patient

Comment

FireGL drivers have to be tested for three months, so you should expect great FireGL support by Novembers fglrx 8.43. However, ask Kano on what to do if you want to use FireGL with fglrx 8.40/8.41.

Comment

Ah ok, that i didn't know. Then there's a greater chance that the drivers have matured enough and have matured enough i take it.
          I'll PM Kano tomorrow (it's very late here). Thanks!

Comment

Working...
          X