Many Ubuntu Users Still Hate The Unity Desktop

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by tweak42 View Post
    I don't see what the big deal for so many long time users to be hating on Ubuntu. Canonical is pushing software innovation/evolution to attract users from areas previously ignored.
    People won't switch from Windows to Ubuntu because of Unity. People will switch from Ubuntu to Fedora, Debian, etc, because of Unity.

Personally I'm wondering which distro to switch to when 11.10 eliminates Gnome 2.

Comment

Originally posted by dufoli View Post
      totaly agree with you.
      Most of people don't like [xxx] but do nothing to improove it.
      i assume you don't like AIDS either but i don't think you are doing any research on creating a vaccine for it

people will always complain but in the case of open source even if your arguments against dev choices are correct noone will bother

if you cannot code you are useless in FOSS and even if you can there is a big chance that no dev will bother specially in UI stuff

Comment

Originally posted by movieman View Post
        Personally I'm wondering which distro to switch to when 11.10 eliminates Gnome 2.
        Maybe Fedora? Or OpenSuSE? Or ArchLinux?

Oh wait, all of this distributions use or will use GNOME3. Even Debian switches to GNOME3 in 2013. The only distribution which will support GNOME2 until 2015 (and even longer) is RHEL or one of its clones (CentOS, SL, etc.).

If you don't want to use stone-age software, you have to adopt to the new situation.

Comment

Originally posted by glasen View Post
          The only distribution which will support GNOME2 until 2015 (and even longer) is RHEL or one of its clones (CentOS, SL, etc.).
          Yes, CentOS is one of the options. By then perhaps the UI developers will have been dragged kicking and screaming back to some semblance of sanity.

If you don't want to use stone-age software, you have to adopt to the new situation.
          Ah, the old 'I'm l33t3r than you becuase I use version 79.15' argument. It never impresses, I'm afraid.

Comment

You know you can set up KDE to operate in a similar fashion to Gnome 2? It won't be 100% of course but you can do it.

Comment

I upgrade to each new Ubuntu release but not 11.04. I will not consider putting it on my main work PC. Too much bugs and inconveniences. I will stick with 10.10 and give 11.10 a go on the live CD again.

Comment

The only thing that really keeps me from using Unity is absolute lack of configurability. I will never use an UI where task bar is nailed on the left side just because somebody thinks it is cool.
                There was time when one of the promoted aspects of linux desktop was total configurability. So now it is even worse than windows, haha, use windows for freedom .

AFAIK these changes are because they want UI to be touchscreen friendly. Well, thats nice, but nobody EVER will use ubuntu on tablet. So they can keep their touch-friendly (wtF) desktop to themselves.

Also it is very unstable, natty is one of the worst releases yet, compiz/unity was and is not in any condition to be considered as a primary shell, plus i have problems with pulsaudio and etc..

I also will never use Gnome 3, it looks like it was designed by someone insane. Minimalism combined with waste of screen space. What an improvement.
                One thing I would really like to know, who thought people want these new revolutionary ways to interact with computer and blablabla, its almost uselles, Im not going to use it and they will not fix it.

Comment

Originally posted by frostwyrm333 View Post
                  The only thing that really keeps me from using Unity is absolute lack of configurability. I will never use an UI where task bar is nailed on the left side just because somebody thinks it is cool.
                  There was time when one of the promoted aspects of linux desktop was total configurability. So now it is even worse than windows, haha, use windows for freedom .
                  Configurability still exists for KDE, and will likely continue to exist..

Comment

You don't have to use a Mac

Originally posted by ethana2 View Post
                    I don't have that kind of money. Amiga had the global menu bar first, and Apple took KHTML, CUPS, and X11 from *us*. What goes around comes around.

If I had an infinite supply of money, I'd probably be using OS X Lion right now. But you know what? I don't! I'm a college student-- and Ubuntu is a darn good alternative, for me, right now. I have two gripes with Unity : It doesn't work on my hardware, and application categories are essential for me. I want the category icons sitting in the launcher on the side, which then expand to show their contents when clicked..

Anyways, phoronix has become intensely pessimistic, more like some guy's soapbox than a news site. From what I see on /. and the like, that's not doing much for credibility. Try to find something you can be not-a-downer about.
                    You don't have to use a Mac. To get the absolute best desktop GUI, far more advanced than a Mac, run a KDE4 desktop Linux distribution. In order of DistroWatch page rankings, OpenSuSe, PCLinuxOS, Mandriva, Slackware, Sabayon, Chakra, Mageia and MEPIS are Linux distributions which ship with KDE4 as the default. Arch Linux is neutral, and it too has a very decent KDE4 desktop.

Discover the power of a truly powerful and not-dumbed-down desktop, free of cost and also free of license encumberances.

Enjoy.

Comment

Lol @ mentioning my post as "A list".... hahahaha

I don't have anything new to add besides that post and Michael's recent posts. The jury has convened. They concluded that Ubuntu sucks. We are all in agreement. Time to move on to Fedora or OpenSUSE.

Comment

Working...
                      X