Desktop Summit 2011: Copyright Assignment, Wayland & Beer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Michael View Post
    When you work ~80+ hour work weeks and are completely burned out, beer is quite good.
    When you work 80 hours per week, the solution isn't doing drugs (yes, alcohol is a drug, there's no point denying it), but working less.

Comment

Originally posted by AnonymousCoward View Post
      When you work 80 hours per week, the solution isn't doing drugs (yes, alcohol is a drug, there's no point denying it), but working less.
      Not when there are deadlines to be met, limited manpower, readers already asking/demanding for more information, etc etc.
      Michael Larabel
      https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

And yes, it's forecast to be rain, possible thunderstorm. Great.

Comment

srsly?

Originally posted by AnonymousCoward View Post
          You're proselytising a guy who works that much and enjoys drinking?
          Alcohol is only a problem if it affects work or personal life negatively (ignoring religious objections). If he is working that much it doesn't seem to be affecting his work. His personal life I can say nothing about but actually enjoying beer/wine/liquors can be a hobby that doesn't indicate alcoholism.
          A lot of work is put into making these drinks and learning to appreciate them can be rewarding.

Comment

Originally posted by liam View Post
            You're proselytising a guy who works that much and enjoys drinking?
            Alcohol is only a problem if it affects work or personal life negatively (ignoring religious objections). If he is working that much it doesn't seem to be affecting his work. His personal life I can say nothing about but actually enjoying beer/wine/liquors can be a hobby that doesn't indicate alcoholism.
            A lot of work is put into making these drinks and learning to appreciate them can be rewarding.
            +1

Michael does seem a little obsessed with beer, as well as Germans and Norway. But hey, everyone needs a hobby, and I know several people who really get into it without having any kind of problem. They even brew their own recipes of beer.

Comment

Originally posted by smitty3268 View Post
              +1

Michael does seem a little obsessed with beer, as well as Germans and Norway. But hey, everyone needs a hobby, and I know several people who really get into it without having any kind of problem. They even brew their own recipes of beer.
              Count me among the ranks of home brewers. I enjoy a tasty brew when I feel that it's appropriate. That being said, I avoid drinking excessively, and hold myself to 1-2 drinks at most unless I'm out with friends. If Michael wants to keep a beer next to him while benchmarking/writing, I don't see a problem with that.

And hopefully there'll come a day when he doesn't have to put in so many hours. Just because someone thinks that he should work less doesn't mean that it's necessarily possible. I've been in situations before where 60-90 hour weeks were what were needed in order to make sure that things got done, and if it didn't get done people could die.

Michael: Any luck finding that assistant/replacement editor that you had mentioned a few months back? Or did that get placed on the back burner for a while...
              Last edited by Veerappan; 12 August 2011, 09:28 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Veerappan View Post
                Michael: Any luck finding that assistant/replacement editor that you had mentioned a few months back? Or did that get placed on the back burner for a while...
                The potential acquisition of Phoronix.com has stalled for now.
                Michael Larabel
                https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Working...
                X