Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Heroes of Newerth Goes Free-To-Play

Phoronix: Heroes of Newerth Goes Free-To-Play

For those that missed it, S2 Games has made their Heroes of Newerth title go free-to-play. No longer does it cost $30 USD to buy the game, but it's free, which is S2's attempt to expand the game's user-base...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Linux share?

Hi, on this new: http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...item&px=ODYyNA you said that it was a big success.

Nobody has never published linux market share for "hardcore" games. Could you put a bit of pressure to have actual numbers?

I never understood why people think it okay to count random website share to deduce the linux gaming market share.

Comment

Beta

I tested the beta and it seemed like everyone I was playing with had years of experience and was really angry about that fact. There wasn't a simple way to ramp up so I dropped it, and generally I don't suck at games.

Comment

Originally posted by garytr24 View Post
        I tested the beta and it seemed like everyone I was playing with had years of experience and was really angry about that fact. There wasn't a simple way to ramp up so I dropped it, and generally I don't suck at games.
        The beta was years ago; have you tried playing it since then? There's an automatic skill-level filtering system. You get a skill level "score" based on how well you do. If you do badly your score is lowered, if you do well your score is raised. If you want to be the king of your world, just create a match where the max skill level is your skill level, or join one that someone else made.

Comment

HoN is a very difficult game. Graph below explain it very well:

Comment

Originally posted by ean5533 View Post
            The beta was years ago; have you tried playing it since then?
            Well, no, that was the point. I installed it, was like "cool, it works on linux" then played for a couple of hours. I didn't feel inspired to buy it. I might try again now that it's free.

Comment

BTW folks, Nvidia released the 280.13 driver.

Download the English (US) Linux x64 (AMD64/EM64T) Display Driver for Linux 64-bit systems. Released 2011.8.1

Comment

Originally posted by Tares View Post
                HoN is a very difficult game. Graph below explain it very well:
                Hehe good one... Though the games aren't really in the same category gameplay-wise.

I think the overall impression of the rampant DotA elitism (at least at release) is what put me off.
                As if it wasn't enough with not being able to learn anything about a new game, in the short time it takes to get your ass handed to you.

I might still try it now, not much to lose besides a few hours of my free time.
                Last edited by PsynoKhi0; 01 August 2011, 10:43 AM.

Comment

I applaud S2 for sticking with native linux ports. I have beta tested all their games and was even one of the first ten alpha testers of Savage 2.

I feel all of their games are good. I only play Savage: The Battle for Newerth now because it's just such a good game. The original Savage game has a fairly vigorous cult following. Savage 2 took to many drastic turns for me from the initial play style and it made it not fun for for me.

Hon on the other hand was fun but I really only wanted to play with friends, not random people online. So it gave me limited replay value in this respect.

Keep up the good work S2games. Just beware of Malikens temper... it even made me go into hiding.

Comment

love dota type games.

and this one free for linux makes it even better

Comment

Working...
                    X