Fedora Core 6 Preview

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fedora Core 6 Preview

It is time yet again where the next Fedora Core installment (this time, Core 6) begins to grab the attention of red-hat-wearing penguins and other GNU/Linux enthusiasts. Yesterday was the inaugural test release of Fedora Core 6, which is targeted at die-hard Fedorians, and any other users wishing to get a glimpse at what Fedora Core 6 will hold in store. Of course, Fedora Core 6 Test 1 is not a stable release for use with production machines, so proceed at your own risk. We have been experimenting with Fedora Core 6 Test 1 for about 24 hours now, and have a few thoughts to share. Fedora Core 4 Stentz shaped up to be a competitive release, and Fedora Core 5 Bordeaux continues to be one of the best Linux distributions to date, so how will Fedora Core 6 fare in this competitive open-source world?
    Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Be sure to pickup Fedora Core @ http://fedora.redhat.com/
    Michael Larabel
    https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Great article. Is there a reason that people tend to think KDE is an extra, and not inclusive? Just curious as to why. I prefer KDE much more than GNOME, but I seem to be in the minority.

Comment

KDE is just another DE choice that some distros install by default. There is nothing to hinder your installation of KDE during the Fedora setup. I'm assuming that Fedora still offers the choice between Gnome & KDE in the installation, so they haven't rejected it completely. Some distros such as Slackware have recently discarded Gnome from their default installations.

Personally I only have Xfce installed as a DE, but I usually just start up the minimalist WM Blackbox for my daily activities. For me, KDE & Gnome are too clunky for extended use.

But to answer your question... choosing a DE/WM is a very personal decision. So the mere fact that Fedora offers many different DE/WM options during the initial install is very courteous.

Comment

Well, I was primarily wondering why GNOME seems to be preferred over KDE in general. I just never got into the whole GNOME thing... maybe I like somewhat of a 'clunky' DE than GNOME, or more 'Windows-like'.

Ubuntu for example... uses GNOME. I hear from people who use Ubuntu all the time, but never anyone who uses the KDE counterpart, Kubuntu.

Maybe I'll give GNOME another shot.. been a while since I've used it.

So the mere fact that Fedora offers many different DE/WM options during the initial install is very courteous.

Without a doubt. I hope it keeps up.

Comment

Originally posted by Rob Williams
          Well, I was primarily wondering why GNOME seems to be preferred over KDE in general. I just never got into the whole GNOME thing... maybe I like somewhat of a 'clunky' DE than GNOME, or more 'Windows-like'.
          GNOME just has some magical unexplainable attraction . Even though I try out new distributions often, and have no problems running KDE or any other desktop on them, for whatever reason I just can't stand to use it full-time. I don't know if it's being a long-time GNOME user or what.

Linus Torvalds is of course a strong advocate for KDE.

Fluxbox and Xfce are also very nice. Kubuntu is slowly gaining some momentum, and even Xubuntu. (Xubuntu is currently ranked 24th at Distrowatch, while Kubuntu is 13). It also makes me wonder if there will be a Fubuntu anytime soon for Fluxbox lol
          Last edited by Michael; 25 June 2006, 12:16 PM.
          Michael Larabel

Comment

(K)(X)Ubuntu

Great article. Is there a reason that people tend to think KDE is an extra, and not inclusive? Just curious as to why. I prefer KDE much more than GNOME, but I seem to be in the minority.
            Perhaps out of a desire to avoid Qt or just a case of developer preference, a lot of new toys and optimization work seem to target Gnome/Gtk. I have nothing against KDE; I recommend it to a lot of people new to linux because it's easier to clone your old Windows or Mac look-and-feel and tools like Control Center are nice. However, I still use Gnome.

Ubuntu for example... uses GNOME. I hear from people who use Ubuntu all the time, but never anyone who uses the KDE counterpart, Kubuntu.
            Ubuntu has a very well polished theme and nice little bells and whistles. Kubuntu, OTOH, offers very little over Debian+KDE. Xubuntu is ... weird. They took XFCE and tweaked it to make it Gnome-like, except that XFCE wasn't meant to look like that and the end result is messy.
            Last edited by tgcid; 25 June 2006, 01:04 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael
              Linus Torvalds is of course a strong advocate for KDE.
              Yeah, I noticed that. I think he was once quoted as GNOME being for noobies, but I don't understand why. I'll have to download GNOME though, because I am interested in giving it another go. Fubuntu, lol. Sounds like a dark ages RPG or something.

Originally posted by tgcid
              Perhaps out of a desire to avoid Qt or just a case of developer preference, a lot of new toys and optimization work seem to target Gnome/Gtk.
              Good point, I didn't consider that.

Comment

Anyone start screwing with compiz with this yet? With all the updates flying around on it and trying to get nvidia to work and whatnot, seems a bit troublesome.

Although I have to say overall, it seems like a neat concept with pup, and all the other options that are coming forth, even if it's a bit bleeding edge (which of course is the intent anyhow). I'm enjoying tinkering with it... I still think fedora / linux has a long way to go with 64 bit vs. 32 bit setups though... need to start writing it more like sun in that respect.

Comment

Just received a note from Max Spevack that Fedora Core 6 Test 2 should finally freeze today, or tomorrow at the latest.
                  Michael Larabel

Comment

Working...
                  X