Best card for under $100

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Loafers View Post
    Thanks for the suggestion, but I ended up choosing the GT-610 mainly for the price.

Sadly, a lot of these cards — especially the zotac passive versions — are over-priced and increasingly difficult to find. No bang for the buck
    Ya passives tend to be more expensive then others but I haven't found Zotac's regular offering anymore expensive then the other brands. In fact they are usually on the cheaper end. Either way for just media playback purposes the GT-610 aka GT-520 will do fine. Great media playback support in linux with vdpau.

Comment

Hi everyone, I've decided to try Steam for Linux, I bought some games like Serious Sam BFE and Amnesia. Since I have integrated graphics, I thought I might upgrade and refresh my system a bit. Here's what I have now:

MB: H61M-S2PV
      CPU: Intel Celeron G530 Dual Core @ 2.4Ghz
      GPU: Intel 2000HD
      Memory: 8GB DDR3 @ 1333Mhz
      21.5" Acer Monitor Full HD

I'm using Mint 13 KDE 64bit. I'm not familiar with graphics cards, I haven't really needed them up until now, so I don't know what to buy, what's supported properly on Linux, what will be supported and so on, how much of a bottleneck would my CPU be and so on. Graphics quality doesn't have to be the best. Now with Intel 2000HD and added Xorg Edgers ppa, Serious Sam is pretty much playable, Amnesia not so much, objects and walls are flickering when in-game. Look here:
      Pronađite vrhunske grafičke kartice za gaming, multimediju ili mining po najpovoljnijim cijenama. Birajte između AMD i Nvidia grafičkih kartica.

Would any of these cards improve performance. I know that nvidia is best for Linux, but I don't know which to choose, or should I be going for ATI?

Comment

Originally posted by Zoran View Post
        Hi everyone, I've decided to try Steam for Linux, I bought some games like Serious Sam BFE and Amnesia. Since I have integrated graphics, I thought I might upgrade and refresh my system a bit. Here's what I have now:

MB: H61M-S2PV
        CPU: Intel Celeron G530 Dual Core @ 2.4Ghz
        GPU: Intel 2000HD
        Memory: 8GB DDR3 @ 1333Mhz
        21.5" Acer Monitor Full HD

I'm using Mint 13 KDE 64bit. I'm not familiar with graphics cards, I haven't really needed them up until now, so I don't know what to buy, what's supported properly on Linux, what will be supported and so on, how much of a bottleneck would my CPU be and so on. Graphics quality doesn't have to be the best. Now with Intel 2000HD and added Xorg Edgers ppa, Serious Sam is pretty much playable, Amnesia not so much, objects and walls are flickering when in-game. Look here:
        Pronađite vrhunske grafičke kartice za gaming, multimediju ili mining po najpovoljnijim cijenama. Birajte između AMD i Nvidia grafičkih kartica.

Would any of these cards improve performance. I know that nvidia is best for Linux, but I don't know which to choose, or should I be going for ATI?
        Are you planning on using the proprietary or open source driver?

Comment

I forgot to mention that, well I don't have anything against proprietary drivers, count them in....

Comment

I would wait for passively cooled Geforce GT730

Comment

I don't know, like I said, it doesn't have to be bad-ass, I know that it can't be since we're talking about cards which are under 100$. I just need something that would let me play current games without flickering, and if it's at all possible to have graphics quality settings to medium. I'm not very demanding when it comes to these things. The cheaper, the better.....

Comment

There are many answers to that question

I don't know, like I said, it doesn't have to be bad-ass, I know that it can't be since we're talking about cards which are under 100$. I just need something that would let me play current games without flickering, and if it's at all possible to have graphics quality settings to medium. I'm not very demanding when it comes to these things. The cheaper, the better.....
                Maybe look at a GT630 at around $75. It is a rebadged GT440. Much better than HD2000, but still mid-range. Will work with Nvidia Linux drivers. You should be able to get a GT640 for under a hundred.

The other option, and probably better, is to get a second hand 9800.

Comment

Originally posted by grege View Post
                  Maybe look at a GT630 at around $75. It is a rebadged GT440. Much better than HD2000, but still mid-range. Will work with Nvidia Linux drivers. You should be able to get a GT640 for under a hundred.

GT640 has bad performance per price because of DDR3 memory. It is better to buy GTX650 which has DDR5 memory.
                  9800 has bad performance per watt.

Comment

Originally posted by JS987 View Post
                    GT640 has bad performance per price because of DDR3 memory. It is better to buy GTX650 which has DDR5 memory.
                    9800 has bad performance per watt.
                    A GT630 is still miles better than HD2000, but of course any of the GTX series is going to be way better than a GT. But then the price climbs rapidly. This one is close to "under $100".

Buy EVGA GeForce GTX 650 1GB GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 Video Card 01G-P4-2650-KR with fast shipping and top-rated customer service. Once you know, you Newegg!

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

It all comes down to how much money you want to spend and how keen you are.

Comment

• Originally posted by grege View Post

That's the card that I had my eye on, look at this:

I read somewhere that there's some kind of problems with Intel integrated and Nvidia discrete cards, that Nvidia can't take full control over graphics processing, that something called Bumblebee needs to be installed. Is that only on open source drivers, or are proprietary affected as well?

Is 1GB of VRAM enough? There's another version of this card with 2GB of memory, but memory clock is at 1Ghz, not on 1.6Ghz like this one above, should I take the faster one with less RAM, or slower one with more RAM?

And what's with KMS Console, I read that KMS has something to do with resolution setting. Is it important?

I realize that there's cards with faster memory speeds, but their more expansive and I really don't have the need for something like that. I just installed Team Fortress 2, and the game works rather well on full HD with medium quality settings, it just loads for an eternity.....

Comment

Working...
                      X