Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• KDE SC 4.7.0 Officially Released

Phoronix: KDE SC 4.7.0 Officially Released

KDE SC 4.7.0 was officially released this afternoon...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

OpenGL ES 2.0 support in the KWin compositing window manager
    I wonder if it's enabled by default for GL >= 2.1 desktops or do I have to do it manually?

Comment

Originally posted by cl333r View Post
      I wonder if it's enabled by default for GL >= 2.1 desktops or do I have to do it manually?
      Short answer: you have to do it manually.

Complete and detailed answer: http://blog.martin-graesslin.com/blo...opengl-es-2-0/

Comment

ES seems to be useless with the open source r600g driver. KWin just crashes immediately.

And regular OpenGL is slow as molasses :-D Amazing times for Linux desktops, yey! It feels as exciting as it was back 15 years ago. All hail the mighty Linux Desktop that is so much better than Windows 7 and OS X :-)

Edit:
        Nah, I'm kidding. It just stinks.
        Last edited by RealNC; 27 July 2011, 07:00 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by RealNC View Post
          ES seems to be useless with the open source r600g driver. KWin just crashes immediately.

And regular OpenGL is slow as molasses :-D Amazing times for Linux desktops, yey! It feels as exciting as it was back 15 years ago. All hail the mighty Linux Desktop that is so much better than Windows 7 and OS X :-)

Edit:
          Nah, I'm kidding. It just stinks.
          It's supposed to crash if you're using pre mesa 7.11 (devel) r600g drivers.

Comment

You need to compile yourself (Kubuntu 11.10 will have extra packages ready) if you want OpenGL ES 2.0 which is the fastest option, otherwise it will just use OpenGL 2.0 which is still better than KDE SC 4.6. With KDE SC 4.8, it probably won't be necessary to have different packages/recompile for OpenGL ES 2.0.

Also, if you have slow performance, try setting the graphicssystem of Qt to "raster". It will be the default in Qt 4.8 anyway.

Comment

Kernel 3.0, Mesa Git master, xf86-video-ati Git master and "raster" with Qt 4.7.3. And it stinks.

Comment

Kernel 3.0, Mesa Git master, xf86-video-ati Git master and "raster" with Qt 4.7.3. And it stinks.
                So it's more kfail than kwin...

Comment

Fallbacks.

@RealNC: Resort to Plan B. KWin can degrade itself to compensate for poor drivers. If you have trouble, you can:
                  - Disable OpenGL 2.0 shaders: That will give you OpenGL 1 (pre-4.7 was OpenGL 1).
                  - Switch your rendering engine (Direct / Indirect rendering, Direct makes the driver render, Indirect makes X render. if Direct is slow, Indirect will cut)
                  - In extreme cases, switch from OpenGL to XRender. KWin can be fast and pretty with only plain EXA.

No other WM has this flexibility.

Comment

Which card do you have again? I seem to remember it was one of the slowest r600g cards.

Comment

Working...
                    X