Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

AMD Catalyst 11.7 Driver For Linux Brings...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by chronniff View Post
    mipmaps in a couple plugins are broken in a couple of the compiz plugins in the stock natty release.......if u enable it in mipmaps in the expo extension for instance, after the screen uses the expo extension for a transform event the screen won't update except for the mouse, when u click on stuff u can't actually see what u r doing....
    No, that's still happening. I have experienced this with the window chooser (alt+tab) and didn't really know why...

Comment

bottom right corner bug and it takes away my tray and clock KDE

using 1600x1200 resolution
      I already have the bottom right corner bug since fglrx 11.5 update, now upon installing 11.7 i still have the right corner bug, but now my tray and digital clock are missing I still have the rest of the KDE taskbar visible The Linux distribution I m using by the way is Pclinuxos. now if I go in to ccc and change any setting then press Apply ,ccc then segfaults to get my tray and clock showing again I have to go into the pclinuxos control-center/hardware/configure_video_card then options uncheck use hardware accelerated mouse pointer and then I reboot , upon reboot my resolution is now set at 1920x1080 and my tray and digital clock are back in the bottom right corner thankfully.Then afer that I start ccc and it give a popup message as follows

There was a problem initializing Catalyst Control Center Linux edition. It could be caused by the following.
      No ATI graphics driver is installed, or the ATI driver is not functioning properly.
      Please install the ATI driver appropriate for you ATI hardware, or configure using aticonfig.

then i completely remove the fglrx driver then reboot with Xorg driver It automatically set my resolution back to 1600x1200. I reinstall fglrx 11.7 ireboot and the this cycle repeats again with tray and digital clock missing rinse repeat lol

Comment

And it broke OpenCL

And they somehow managed to break OpenCL. Just freaking amazing.

I can see two cards with aticonfig (as in, aticonfig --odgc --od-gettemperature --adapter=all), set fan speed on both cards (e.g, DISPLAY=:0.1 and :0.0 aticonfig --pplib-cmd 'get fanspeed 0'), see both cards in catalyst control center...

But when I run clinfo I only see the CPU and one cypress device. Running a bitcoin miner is only possible on one device, the other one shows 0 load and performance is that of a single card...

Reverting to 11.6 fixes the issue.

Can we get a different intern to work on fglrx? Or maybe two interns for more than a few minutes a week with one doing a bit of QA? I mean, I know we all have incredibly low expectations and the blob driver has been utter crap for multimedia/gaming and even basic 2D VGA functionality for over half a decade now, but throw us a bone will you AMD?

Once the bitcoin craze is over I'm so going back to nvidia.

Comment

Originally posted by v8envy View Post
          Can we get a different intern to work on fglrx? Or maybe two interns for more than a few minutes a week with one doing a bit of QA? I mean, I know we all have incredibly low expectations and the blob driver has been utter crap for multimedia/gaming and even basic 2D VGA functionality for over half a decade now, but throw us a bone will you AMD?
          Just contact with tech. support about every problem what you have with the blob.

Comment

To anyone having issues:
            Do you have X.org running when installing the drivers?
            Do you run the provided installation script? Or do you create packages? Or PPA or whatever...
            Do you delete /etc/ati/amdpscdb without X.org running prior to the first reboot with the new fglrx version?

Comment

Also...

Did you uninstall the previous driver before installing this one ?

Did you (or the package scripts) run aticonfig/amdconfig with the right parameters with root privileges without X running ?
              Test signature

Comment

-deleted /etc/ati/amdpscdb without X.org running
                -uninstalled previous (11.6) drivers
                -installed with provided installation script (run file)

still have the lower right corner mouse stuck issue
                its been ongoing since 11.5. i have filled the bugreport also.
                really nasty stuff.

Comment

Those suffering from the mouse freeze: http://phoronix.com/forums/showthrea...use-freeze-bug

Other than that, SWCursor seems to alleviate the issue. Has anyone added a "Virtual" line in the screens section?
                  Last edited by PsynoKhi0; 02 August 2011, 03:01 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by v8envy View Post
                    And they somehow managed to break OpenCL. Just freaking amazing.

I can see two cards with aticonfig (as in, aticonfig --odgc --od-gettemperature --adapter=all), set fan speed on both cards (e.g, DISPLAY=:0.1 and :0.0 aticonfig --pplib-cmd 'get fanspeed 0'), see both cards in catalyst control center...

But when I run clinfo I only see the CPU and one cypress device. Running a bitcoin miner is only possible on one device, the other one shows 0 load and performance is that of a single card...

Reverting to 11.6 fixes the issue.

I have a 4870 X2 (no idea what model)

Going to the 11.7 driver on windows 7 x64 HPE broke the driver and had to revert back to 11.6. I'm guessing it's not just the Linux driver that has problems. I'm using the 11.7 driver in Linux and X only works once. If I close X and then startx again, basically X refuses to launch. I can post the /var/log later to show what error I get.

So 11.7 brought bugs for me, that's for sure. Here I was thinking ATi were catching nVidia in the driver dept. Nope, not by a long shot. Maybe the open source drivers are doing well .... but no thanks, I want the binary blob working and OpenCL back.

Comment

Thats a general fglrx problem that you can not stop X and unload the kernel module. It works sometimes but you definitely can not rely on it.

Comment

Working...
                      X