Azure Replacing Cairo In Mozilla Firefox

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by droidhacker View Post
    I really don't get what the fuss is about. Web browsers don't need to be super crazy fast. Mosaic worked fine on a 486 for web browsing. Are people trying to suggest that their brains are getting faster? Because I can assure everyone that this is not the case.

Total fluff, make work projects to pretend that something is being accomplished. They're just stacking the dependencies and bloating out.

Most of my hardware will be happy to handle these advanced pointless dependencies, but the F***ING ATOM/POULSBO won't. EVER. Guess its a good thing they aren't dropping cairo.... yet. They surely will eventually though, and that will be the death of that hardware.
    It seems that people's brains are getting slower with time, but the content of the Internet is not. It is not plain html anymore. You have video, animations and whole systems running in your browser.
    There surly is a need for more speed.

Comment

If web browsers get fast and featureful enough to deploy fully-fledged applications, then linux will stop being the third-rate, afterthought platform it is now. Photoshop? Office? Games? You bet.

Bring it on, I say!

Comment

While Firefox is a good browser, I switched to Opera 9.6 because FF was just so slow at times. Opera is a close competitor with Chrome on that front, just with a whole lot more features.

Browsers have to do a whole lot more than they did back in the days of Mosaic and 486 processors. A faster browser just gives a better experience for the user, especially when running on slower hardware.

I'm sure this change will improve the experience for a lot of people. Potentially having to go Azure->Cairo->X11 sounds like a nightmare, though, but here's always another option...

Comment

with all these things firefox foundation is doing now, i kinda get this feeling

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MDthMGtZKa4

Comment

I see it is packaged for Arch Linux now so I will install it asap and check it out. How can I tell what the rendering pipeline looks like when it is running and to check whether OpenGL is there?

Comment

Working...
            X