Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ASRock 4Core1333-Viiv

Phoronix: ASRock 4Core1333-Viiv

While most of the rage these days for Intel hardware is about the P35 and X38 Chipsets, for those looking at an economically-minded motherboard that may not support all of the latest and greatest features but can still work well as a Linux desktop, Intel's P965 remains a great option. One of the motherboards fitting this criteria is the 4Core1333-Viiv from ASRock, which utilizes the Intel P965 + ICH8DH while is still compatible with Intel Core 2 Quad 1333MHz processors. Through ASRock's AGI Express, ATI CrossFire support is also possible using this budget motherboard. But how well does the ASRock 4Core1333-Viiv work under Linux? We'll tell you in this article as we do our usual compatibility and benchmarking roundabout.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

There's a typo on page 3: Granted, this cooling is suffice if not overclocking and does save on manufacturing costs.

should be: Granted, this cooling is sufficient if not overclocking and does save on manufacturing costs.

or: Granted, this cooling should suffice if not overclocking and does save on manufacturing costs.

Comment

I have this motherboard, with a Q6600 and 4gb RAM (4 sticks of 1gb each). The bios shows 4096mb in the setup screen, but only POSTs 3264mb, and therefore linux can only use 3.18GB (I've tried both 64-bit and 32-bit with 4/64gb support kernels).

I can't find any relevant settings in the bios, and all the memory modules seem to work properly (with any 3, the bios posts 3072mb).

Does anyone know how to fix this? Michael, can you try a similar setup and post your results?

Comment

Best ask asrock for a BIOS update with that 4 GB memory hole feature. Gigabyte hides some things until you press Ctrl-F1, don't know about Asrock.

Comment

Originally posted by Kano View Post
          Best ask asrock for a BIOS update with that 4 GB memory hole feature.
          Thank you, Kano. I didn't know about the memory hole. I enabled "PCI memory remapping" in the bios, and now I get all the RAM.

Curiosly though, I only get 3gb (as opposed to 3.18 before) in linux, unless it's compiled with 64gb support. Do you know why?

Comment

Working...
          X