Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Automatic power testing across kernels with different options

Hi,

Out of curiosity with the current power issues, I'd like to perform power tests for every kernel revision of every ubuntu version. For example, for 11.04 I'd like to test 2.6.38-8, through 2.6.38-11. In addition, I'd like to specify boot options (like pcie_aspm=force) that need to be tested, so that all unique combinations are tested. Since options generally have a "starting point" for when they start to do something, that would be nice as well (to cut down on unnecessary testing). Also, different shells would be nice (unity vs classic).

In summary, I'd like to test (using pts/battery-power-usage) all the unique combinations of:
    - Every kernel revision for the currently installed ubuntu
    - Different switches (only when relevant)
    - Different shells

Reinstalling ubuntu (to test different releases) is unavoidably a manual thing to do, but I'd prefer everything within an ubuntu version to be automated. Since this involves a lot of reboots and selecting different shells at login, is this even possible with phoronix test suite?

Greetings,

Erwin Junge

PS I've made a bit of a start on 11.04, but that took a lot of time and manual work (lots of reboots and changes in grub). The result can be seen here (naming is a bit messy, a decent naming scheme would be a bonus): http://openbenchmarking.org/result/1...GR-1107245GR40

Erwin:

Yes, it's quite easy to automate testing different options, etc. Including automatic handling when recovering from reboots, etc.

The (new) ideal way using PTS 3.4-Lillesand Git is to use the matisk module. Unfortunately, I don't have too much public documentation on it at the moment but will have a Phoronix article on MATISK in the next couple of days.

-- Michael
    Michael Larabel
    https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Hi Michael,

Thanks very much for the quick reply, I'll keep an eye on the homepage. I'll post the results of my testing here. Would you like me to send you a personal message as well? I ask this since you seem to take a personal interest in the power issues.

Erwin

Comment

Working...
      X