HTPC (XBMC/VDR) based on an APU!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by deanjo View Post
    I am aware of the implications Dave and to why the "free" version of Ubuntu isn't likely to carry such patented playback capabilities. It still does not change the fact that Canonical is not US Based. Subsidiary divisions are not the base.

I might also point out that the division in the US is the OEM team and the OEM version of Ubuntu often carries 3 party legally licensed software playback of many restricted codecs since some OEM vendors wished to offer that playback capability.
    Your entire argument is meaningless since YOU made up the side that you're arguing against and projecting it on everyone who happens to be around.

Comment

Originally posted by deanjo View Post
      Because by downloading them, you are the one potentially breaking the law, not the distribution.
      I'm aware of that, but I don't see the difference between Fedora not distributing Lame and Fedora not distributing shader-based VDPAU.

In either case, it's patented stuff, and you can fetch it yourself, if you want to. Surely, if MP3 playback is very much alive, then shader-based VDPAU implementation should be able to survive not being in the default Fedora install.

Comment

Originally posted by pingufunkybeat View Post
        I'm aware of that, but I don't see the difference between Fedora not distributing Lame and Fedora not distributing shader-based VDPAU.

In either case, it's patented stuff, and you can fetch it yourself, if you want to. Surely, if MP3 playback is very much alive, then shader-based VDPAU implementation should be able to survive not being in the default Fedora install.
        That depends on whether it can be made to install trivially from a 3rd party repo, and it depends on whether the maintainers of that 3rd party repo have their act together and are actually *able* to build it.

I do foresee Fedora shipping VP8 decoding, and they do *right now* ship drivers for h264 decoders OUT OF THE BOX. And don't forget that there are different kinds of users. There are the users like you and me, who can setup a 3rd party repo, or build from source, or FIX the damned broken source, and FORCE it to work, and then there are users like deanjo. The people who can barely figure out how to turn their computer ON can't be expected to hunt down and install video decoder libraries....

Comment

Working...
        X