Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

both are assholes

Originally posted by RealNC View Post
    Well, "System Settings" suggests system wide administration. IMO, both KDE and Gnome chose a poor name. It should be "Desktop Environment Settings".
    +1
    i find the name "System Settings" for DE config misleading and maliciously idiotic. unless it does real system-wide configuration it has no business be named like that.
    they should call both as "<DE> bells-and-whistles configuration tool", the assholes.

Comment

Originally posted by dfx. View Post
      +1
      i find the name "System Settings" for DE config misleading and maliciously idiotic. unless it does real system-wide configuration it has no business be named like that.
      they should call both as "<DE> bells-and-whistles configuration tool", the assholes.
      do you people actually believe that the average joe user understands or will care about details like that or know the difference??

the average user sees the whole computer as a system (which it is in a sense)

the name is just a name. the technical conflicts that might occur must be solved and the user shouldn't care at all

Comment

Wow, how mature...

Comment

...kcontrol.. ..good old days... sigh...

Comment

Originally posted by RealNC View Post
            Well, "System Settings" suggests system wide administration. IMO, both KDE and Gnome chose a poor name. It should be "Desktop Environment Settings".
            Too bad, you got it wrong. KDE System Settings can configure the system. In fact it can configure anything for which a KCM is available. Heck, even KPackageKit hooks into KDE System Settings for software management if it's installed.

Comment

Originally posted by Awesomeness View Post
              Too bad, you got it wrong. KDE System Settings can configure the system. In fact it can configure anything for which a KCM is available. Heck, even KPackageKit hooks into KDE System Settings for software management if it's installed.
              I don't know. That was a reply to deanjo's post.

Comment

Clearly we need to take the dbus (namespace) approach.

You just navigate to the org.kde.DE folder then click org.kde.DE.SystemSettings, or alternately org.freedesktop.Gnome.DE and org.freedesktop.Gnome.DE.SystemSettings

j/k

Comment

i agree with ben, and i too don't understand why gnome's "control center" name was dismissed.

Comment

Originally posted by Awesomeness View Post
                    YaST still does not do desktop settings. It doesn't care if you are running KDE, Gnome, or even command line. Almost every single configuration that you do in KDE System settings is kde user specific. Log out of KDE and those settings are no longer in play. YaST on the other hand handles those settings system wide.

Comment

As KDE occupied this name first, it is ours as a result, and I will
                      NOT be relinquishing it to satisfy your personal (selfish) desires,

(...)

As KDE System Settings maintainer, I request that you immediately
                      rename it once again to another name.
                      LOL! Hilarious! The childishness of the KDE developers never ceases to amaze me. 'Activities' revisited (another word they claimed a stake on).

Comment

Working...
                      X