Wine 1.3.25 Presents Rewritten Audio Support

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Larian View Post
    As much as I hate to say it, I understand where he's coming from. Incremental improvements can lead to dead end ends where you have to scrap large portions of the code base and start all over. I think he just wants to fix problems once and be done with them.
    Well, iterative development has historically "proven" to catch more use cases than waterfall-like processes do in many other areas of software... I'm not sure I see why Wine sound should be an exception to the trend. Moreover git branches make rewriting, replacing and removing code easy when it doesn't end up quite the way you like it, and while getting it all right the first time would be neater it's not always that simple. There's no need to keep binary compatibility in something as monolithic as Wine, is there?

Could someone describe how the new system works, please? I'm curious and I can't find any blog posts about it. I don't know how Windows 7 do things, so the reference goes straight over my head.

Comment

No jack no party, I will *NEVER* upgrade because I need professional-grade audio with wineasio for zero latency VSTs.
      ## VGA ##
      AMD: X1950XTX, HD3870, HD5870
      Intel: GMA45, HD3000 (Core i5 2500K)

Comment

Wonder if they plan on finally supporting multichannel audio as well?

Comment

no network audio support now too

so, there were no Pulse support and now there is no NAS and audio via network support is completely gone. and i can forget about outputting sounds from laptop to nearest machine with good speakers, great.

Comment

I was under the impression that with mmdevapi there would be pulse audio? What happened?

One of the bigger annoyances with wine is that it lacks pulse.

Comment

Originally posted by XyC0 View Post
              One of the bigger annoyances with wine is that it lacks pulse.
              It has, there are patches (I'm currently using them). At least there were
              ## VGA ##
              AMD: X1950XTX, HD3870, HD5870
              Intel: GMA45, HD3000 (Core i5 2500K)

Comment

Working...
              X