Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wine 1.3.25 Presents Rewritten Audio Support

Phoronix: Wine 1.3.25 Presents Rewritten Audio Support

While released on an unfortunate day, Wine 1.3.25 has made it out into the world per the usual bi-weekly development cycle. Prominently featured in Wine 1.3.25 is rewritten audio support based upon the Windows 7 architecture...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

the old sound drivers for JACK, NAS, and ESD have been removed.
    I wonder why JACK support was removed, I know isn't used to the extend of ALSA but is not deprecated as the other two drivers.

Comment

I think it's a great release because the audio redesign and the implementation of the DIB engine are 2 itens of the Wine 1.4 Release Plan. I don't know if they're ready, but they're being worked on for a while and looks like it's becoming usable now...

Comment

Holy smokes, mmdevapi actually seems to work correctly now! That was broken for so long I can't remember. Though that may have been fixed in the last release since I skipped 1.3.24.

Comment

How was today an unfortunate day for a WINE release?

Comment

Originally posted by M1kkko View Post
            I think that he is refering to the car-bomb in Oslo and the shooting/massacre of many teens in Norway.

Comment

Originally posted by M1kkko View Post
              He said Wine released on an unfortunate day. Unfortunate because of this: http://www.businessinsider.com/shoot...-norway-2011-7

Comment

Is this the long-acclaimed OpenAL backend support as well, or does the mmdevapi, er, API, connect to individual backends like ALSA and pulseaudio individually?

This thing has been in the works since about 2007, but it never landed in master until recently because Alexandre Julliard won't accept any commits unless they're perfect and solve all problems simultaneously. He doesn't have any concept in his head about evolutionary improvement. We've been having to maintain an external patch for pulseaudio support for years because Alexandre saw mmdevapi as the only viable solution.

I'll try it out and see if it supports PA. If it doesn't, I'll resume my flaming.

Comment

Originally posted by allquixotic View Post
                  Alexandre Julliard won't accept any commits unless they're perfect and solve all problems simultaneously. He doesn't have any concept in his head about evolutionary improvement.
                  As much as I hate to say it, I understand where he's coming from. Incremental improvements can lead to dead end ends where you have to scrap large portions of the code base and start all over. I think he just wants to fix problems once and be done with them. Although his comments about rejected code leave a LOT to be desired ... such as what the hell is actually wrong with it.

As a wine end-user, I appreciate him being a dick like this because it seems to be working and getting things done. From a developer's standpoint, life under Julliard is an exercise in frustration.

Keep the faith aliquixotic.

Comment

Hmm, that's the last release before 1.3.20 becomes obsolete. I guess I'll have to update my graphics drivers and Wine after two weeks and try out my game collection again. I just hope that whatever things the D3D updates broke are already fixed.

Comment

Working...
                    X