Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What Do You Dislike or Hate About Ubuntu?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by deanjo View Post
    Exact opposite here and for many many many many others. KDE works flawlessly here when pulse is disabled.
    If your sound card happens to have a hardware mixer that is supported by the ALSA driver, then I agree. Unfortunately, there are many(*10) people using onboard HDA audio and other devices where software mixing is required.

As far as the sound quality goes gotta call pure placebo on that one as pulse still throws it's [sic] stream through alsa in the end and I find it extremely hard to believe that adding yet another layer lowers CPU usage ( as you claim it does ).
    I "gotta" call pure bullsh!t on that. Pulseaudio doesn't add a layer to ALSA. Rather, it replaces ALSA's software mixer ("dmix"), and it does a much better job than dmix if you RTFM and configure pulse for the best sound quality mixing.

Comment

hardware mixing /thread

Comment

Originally posted by kayosii
        I am not sure who has the disconnect with reality here. A
        project offering a svn repository but not binaries is very clearly
        signalling that - "Our project is not yet ready for end users. But if you
        are really keen and might want to help out with development you can get
        the code here". Setting the bar high weeds out people who are likely to
        want to help and contribute to people who will not. Svn etc are important
        because you want people to have very quick turn around time for fixing
        issues. The area where this falls down is when the project has a
        significant number of non technical contributors In which case you may
        wish to set up some sort of nightly build service.
        I understand what you are saying (hey, isn't that good?). Still, it seemed
        to me that dfblogic was upset about what he perceives to be an extra
        hurdle for end users to try the project he is involved in. If, as you
        argue, not offering compiled code has a strategic purpose that responds to
        the needs of the project in its early stages, then I don't understand what
        the beef is with the development libraries. On the one hand, anybody who
        knows how to use the terminal to retrieve code and build it is more than
        able to understand trivial compilation errors and fetch the missing
        packages. On the other, if the objective were to have this small group of
        active, knowledgeable users with the ability to report meaningful bug
        reports, again it makes little sense to lament about the
        little extra difficulty in compiling the code due to the lack of -dev
        packages on a Ubuntu default install: it's not like otherwise the millions
        of Ubuntu users would then install en masse this game and start testing
        it.

So in general, I don't think that limiting the distribution of a project
        to its source code is a good idea under almost any circumstances.
        Specially if said project is a game, where it's not just coding what you
        need but also, if not more importantly, textures, models, maps, a nice
        GUI, music, sound effects and what not. All this stuff is not done, or
        shouldn't have to be done, by the people who hack in the code. For
        instance, you will probably count with a couple of guys who are reasonably
        good at mapping but know nothing about how the engine works (why should
        they?). My point is that as soon as you have something that works you
        should put it out there and make it as easy as possible for people to try
        and get involved. Basically, lower the bar for people who may contribute
        in non technical aspects like art work or even just jump in to let you
        know the game crashes when you get the railgun on stage 68. Makes sense to
        me.

Comment

Pulseaudio and the fact that it's so heavily intertwined in everything that it's a pain to remove.
          Font rendering, not easy to change back to the way I like it. (I know I'm in a minority here though, but it'd be nice if they provided unpatched font packages)
          Unity (not a huge deal since I run KDE normally anyway, but bleh)
          General dumbing down process it seems to be going through, removing good apps and replacing them with crippled ones that don't have as many features or are buggy.
          Pretty sure there was some other stuff too, not sure what right now though.

Comment

it is a lot of hard work to offer pre-compiled binaries.

./configure&&make&&make install

is easy if the headers are installed.

Not installing headers is just idiotic. There is no downside installing headers and no upside not doing it.

Comment

Originally posted by yogi_berra View Post
              I laughed, see Linux has over 9000 'sorts of linuxes' all compiled with 'various versions of various compilers' using 'various ABI's' and all are incompatible with one another.
              Focus on one or few distributions and problems are gone. Why the hell I have to have dozens of visual basic and .net versions installed on windows to run some games and apps? On Linux I've got repo and there are no different versions or duplicates installed. Btw. could someone explain why I can't run some games on windows after upgrade to sp3? It's a pain.

Comment

Originally posted by RealNC View Post
                How is this different from open source applications that are not supported and never have bugs fixed?

When an application dies and doesn't get support, you switch to another one. And it doesn't matter if it's an open source one or not.
                The difference is anecdotical.
                In open source you can fix it, but then you don't want.
                In closed source even if you want to fix it, you can't.

Comment

Originally posted by deanjo View Post
                  I don't have to rethink at all. Not every application out there relies on ms libraries believe it or not. And libraries are never outdated if they still serve the function.
                  You claim windows has applications that access hardware directly via own drivers, bypassing the ring0, kernel, drivers(bringing their own) and nt6.1 actually uses windows 16 bit core? Great! Tell that wine developers!

Comment

Originally posted by kraftman View Post
                    Focus on one or few distributions and problems are gone. Why the hell I have to have dozens of visual basic and .net versions installed on windows to run some games and apps? On Linux I've got repo and there are no different versions or duplicates installed.
                    You dont have to focus on distributions. In fact this is very wrong.
                    You should focus on versions. On making your application work on many stable releases(where it makes sense).
                    Distributions, from programmer point of view, are nothing but curtain composition of software for specific purpose. You don't have to hunt the purpose, you should hunt bugs on that software, and diversity pushes way more bugs out of the source in the end.

Originally posted by kraftman View Post
                    Btw. could someone explain why I can't run some games on windows after upgrade to sp3? It's a pain.
                    According to deanjo, you are lying :P

Comment

• Originally posted by crazycheese View Post
                      You claim windows has applications that access hardware directly via own drivers, bypassing the ring0, kernel, drivers(bringing their own) and nt6.1 actually uses windows 16 bit core? Great! Tell that wine developers!
                      lol You think that every application out there needs hardware specific functions? w32 has been around for a few decades my friend.

Comment

Working...
                      X