Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What Do You Dislike or Hate About Ubuntu?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by baffledmollusc View Post
    No easy way to get newly-released versions of software until the next release. Want the latest version of, say, firefox? Wait six months. Yes, I know about PPAs, but not everyone does. Rolling release FTW! (Yes, I know about the related problems, and I know many people would disagree, but this is about what *I* don't like about Ubuntu :-P)
    Seconded. Adding a new PPA for every piece of software to get updates is getting a bit out of hand... and I'm deathly afraid that if I "upgrade" to the next version I'm going to have most of my stuff wiped out. A separate repo that has the latest of all software would be nice for those of us who like to live on the edge.

Also agree about the absolutely awful puke color schemes. Graphics artistry is not one of the things one should skimp on. They need to get somebody in there and polish things up. Or the GNOME people should do it at least. Get some nice, modern, cool-looking themes going.

Comment

Originally posted by johnc View Post
      Also agree about the absolutely awful puke color schemes. Graphics artistry is not one of the things one should skimp on. They need to get somebody in there and polish things up. Or the GNOME people should do it at least. Get some nice, modern, cool-looking themes going.
      See, this is where arguing personal preferences becomes a failure, because Canonical has been hiring some of the best designers in the open-source world, like Dan Rabbit of the Elementary team, which is often praised for it's new design directions.

Comment

Originally posted by Vadi View Post
        See, this is where arguing personal preferences becomes a failure, because Canonical has been hiring some of the best designers in the open-source world, like Dan Rabbit of the Elementary team, which is often praised for it's new design directions.
        You have to consider personal preferences of a population as a whole... if this is what they came up with for the default desktop wallpaper, I can't say that I have a lot of confidence in their taste... and they are probably way out of touch with what most people find appealing.

The Ambiance theme is acceptable. The rest of the themes are mediocre at best. And they have a couple themes in there that no person that has an ounce of shame should have ever signed off on.

Comment

Originally posted by BlackStar View Post
          How can people stand to use ALSA without PulseAudio in this day and time? It's awful. I had nothing but trouble in my recent KDE tests (low sound quality, high CPU usage, applications bypassing kmix) that were magically solved as soon as I installed Pulse.
          How can Pulse solve Alsa problems when in fact Pulse itself is using Alsa?
          Plain Alsa runs better for me, btw.

Comment

I honestly don't give a much about the default wallpaper, and it sounds like a pretty silly thing to be arguing about.

(oh, yes, that XP one was amazing! state of the art, used by millions computers everywhere! it should get a once-in-a-decade wallpaper award... really?)

Comment

Originally posted by devius View Post
              Unlike most people here Unity is the reason I switched back to Ubuntu.
              Ubuntu isn't the only distro with Unity. https://secure.wikimedia.org/wikiped...9#Availability

Comment

Originally posted by Vadi View Post
                New design direction != copying mac os x

The problem with the canonical design team is that they all wanted to be designers at Apple but they couldn't. And instead of someone punching them in the side of their head for their incompetence and plagiarism they let them design interfaces.

Also since it was mentioned. All the Gnome people responsible for the design have the aesthetic ability of a flatfish.

Comment

Unity is awful. Between Unity and GNOME 3 we are going to see a huge KDE/XFCE migration.

Comment

unity is good start, but way too buggy still, so i dont recommend it yet till ubuntu 12.04 LTS is out.

unity is exclusive default for ubuntu (like the android ui is for android), so thats good because it makes them unique and not just another "gnome-shell distro".

and the space saving is really a plus. Gnome-shell and default gnome 3 wastes way too much space.

as for the list thats totally true, specially the short release cycle has to change. Ubuntu has to stop shipping so much damn bugs because of the short cycle.

Comment

I like Ubuntu but hate the community; it's utterly toxic.

Also:
                      - the shoddy upstreaming back to Debian
                      - the short-term and ad hoc design decisions that Canonical constantly flip-flop over
                      - bugs
                      - poor dep handling (how many years/releases were there where uninstalling Evolution uninstalled 3/4 of the desktop? These days, removing Plymouth is a pain and good luck getting Unity to work w/o GDM)
                      - versioning system that makes building your own debian packages that little bit more complicated (try building vanilla pidgin without prepending a 1: to the version number and getting it to co-operate with related packages in the repos).

Comment

Working...
                      X