Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• XL Engine For Games Is Being Brought To Linux

Phoronix: XL Engine For Games Is Being Brought To Linux

The XL Engine, a game engine designed to run enhanced remakes/ports of classic game titles, is being ported to Linux. Not only does this run ports of classic games, but at the same time there's visual improvements, this cross-platform capabilities, greater support for mods, and other reported benefits...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Kinda cool I guess. I've played Dark Forces on DOSbox, but it was always a little wonky.

Comment

Woooo! Time to dust off my Daggerfall CD.

Comment

Excellent! I've been meaning to play Daggerfall again sometime fairly soon and this seems like a better solution than DOSBox.

Comment

Pretty cool. I played a lot of Daggerfall when I were a young'un.

Side note: I really hate when "open source" projects come out where they're closed source until some mythical release date. Some people just don't understand what opens source is or why/how it works. :/

Comment

Did he ever say it was open source now, today, this moment (either recently or in the past)? If not, then I don't see what your gripe is about.

On topic-ish: It's cool how Daggerfall is available for free, I didn't know that. It'd be nice if Dark Forces was; I played a demo a while back and it was pretty fun. I think there were only three levels playable, but there were plenty of fun puzzles and hidden areas to find, so the full version must be even better.

Comment

Originally posted by Nobu View Post
              Did he ever say it was open source now, today, this moment (either recently or in the past)? If not, then I don't see what your gripe is about.

Say's that It "should" be open sourced when it hits a beta right on that page

Comment

Yep, I read that. It doesn't say that the project is open source, so...

Comment

I think the point is for a project like this that intends to open source later, and is not making money off of the code first, misses the point of opensourcing the code. Basically it's like having a group of engineers or coders and there's one guy who is in charge of the project and says "okay I'm going to let you guys help later, but I want to put this thing together first"

Comment

Maybe he just wants to write it himself; he might enjoy that. But when he's done (or close to done), he may not be having as much fun as he once did. You could argue that by releasing the source, he not only would reduce the amount of fun that he is having, but also deprive someone else of the fun that they might experience by doing something like what he's doing on their own.

Regardless of why, I don't believe that giving something away for free is the purpose of something being open source, to be honest. Even if he releases it later rather than now, you can still make improvements that he might not have seen, and you'll be able to use the code for other projects that have a similar purpose. If he releases it now (or earlier), you'll get a mostly not working hunk of code, which might be made worse by external contributions (though, it'd probably be made better), and which you won't be able to use for other similar projects. Not to mention, he may not be the kind of person who is able to coordinate external contributions, so he might want to release it for others to improve later when he's not doing so much on the project himself, so he can focus more on such coordination activities.

Comment

Working...
                    X